RE: [ANZJFT: 191]

Paul Rhodes

Apr 11, 2007, 6:05:17 PM4/11/07
to ANZ...@googlegroups.com
hi, its great to see that the discussion is going so well, I have been particualrly interested in the ideas about how men are not neccesarily resistant but that our way of doing therapy needs to be tailored to their way of thinking and relating; I also like the comments about men being rugged and not neccesarily scared of emotions; it seems to me in some of my own social relationships that some men like things to be spoken of directly and in a no nonsense way that does fit with tough things that have to be done in therapy. The key of course is engagment which allows you do do so much afterwards; it also works the other way round though, I have been amazed by the kind of bond that can be established between men (me and the client) if challenging is done compassionately but very directly; it feels like some men are really quite desperate to meet someone who is strong enough and sensitive enough to challenge them about behaviour that they already know is not helping them and those they are close to; after it's done the bond seems to be established, as mates, but also perhaps there is a sense that the therapist can do what their fathers couldnt, place boundaries while being caring. These can be some quite moving moments in therapy.

I'm thinking about a case I have seen with my team lately where a man had frequent affairs and disclosed them readily wiothout seeming to care about there effect on his wife and kids. In the reflecting team he watched while we challenged him quite stridently about his integrity and about the part of him that was desperate to change; he broke down and then gradually over the next two sessions started to tell us about his history of child sexual abuse and how he was frightened to face it.

These, of course, are rare experiences, but it makes me think that there is quite a myth out their about men in therapy, that they are more difficult that working with women, women can be very difficult to work with too !

Paul