problems installing antlrworks2 on osx 10.8.2

John Black

Mar 6, 2013, 9:04:07 PM3/6/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
I have downloaded a recent version of the antlrworks2.zip file (2013-01-22-antlrworks-2.0.zip) and am trying to run it on my MacBook Pro.

Questions
  1. Is there a document that clearly explains how I should install this on osx 10.8.2?
  2. If I unpack the zip directly into the Downloads folder, unzip the contents into the Downloads folder, then it seems to work ok.  But if I move the top level folder to, say, /Applications/Development/antlrworks2, then it does not work.  It reports that there are numerous jars it is not able to find.
  3. Is there a tutorial and introduction that explains using it?
Thanks,
John

Sam Harwell

Mar 6, 2013, 9:53:07 PM3/6/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com

Hi John,

What you’ve seen when you move the installation folder after launching ANTLRWorks 2 is a bug in the NetBeans platform. After moving the installation folder, you’ll need to delete the ANTLRWorks 2 user preferences folder that it created. By default, this folder is placed at the following location on OSX:

${HOME}/Library/Application Support/antlrworks2/dev

I’m planning on creating additional documentation and some videos on how to use ANTLRWorks 2 over the coming months.

Thank you,

--

Sam Harwell

Owner, Lead Developer

http://tunnelvisionlabs.com

ggl....@googlemail.com

Sep 12, 2013, 5:14:56 AM9/12/13
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:04:07 AM UTC, John Black wrote:
> I have downloaded a recent version of the antlrworks2.zip file (2013-01-22-
Follow-up question - installation on Mac OS 10.8.4

I have installed ANTLRworks 2 in the Downloads folder and can launch the application from there. But when I open Graphics.g (from the Compiler Implementations Patterns book), the code appears in the Source window, but there's a "Please wait" message in the Rules window and nothing happens.

I can however open Grammer.g and the rules are created OK using
antlr-3.2.jar ANTLR 3.2 with ANTLR 2.7.7 and StringTemplate 3.2.1
stringtemplate-3.2.1.jar
(as described in the README in the Code 5 folder).

Any suggestions please? (I'm trying to check a 150-rule chunk of EBNF...)
David S
-------------------------------

Sam Harwell

Sep 12, 2013, 6:41:18 AM9/12/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Many of ANTLRWorks 2's features only work with ANTLR 4 grammars. If you have an ANTLR 3 grammar, the Navigator window and syntax highlighting will work, but that's about it.

ANTLRWorks 1.5 has a rule diagram window which works for ANTLR 3.x grammars.

Thanks,
Sam

ggl....@googlemail.com

Sep 13, 2013, 5:45:57 AM9/13/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sam, but I copied the Hello.g4 example from
http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR4/Getting+Started+with+ANTLR+v4
and pasted it into a Text file Hell.g4. Then opened it from ANTLRworks but still got the "Please Wait..." message and nothing happens.

Using ANTLRWorks 2.1, NetBeans Platform 7.4, and
Java: 1.7.0_25; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 23.25-b01
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.7.0_25-b15
System: Mac OS X version 10.8.4 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (antlrworks2)
User directory: /Users/david/Library/Application Support/antlrworks2/dev
Cache directory: /Users/david/Library/Application Support/antlrworks2/dev/var/cache

Hopefully yours, David