ANTLR4 getting going problems

edgar hoover

Aug 2, 2020, 10:56:40 AM8/2/20
to antlr-discussion
Hi all,
I haven't touched antlr for a fair while.  I tried to get it working again to start a new project and it cost me an entire day of reading around, trying things and having them fail.  I finally got what I needed -- a working project -- with the help of Ken Domino, see <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63191238/antlr4-runtime-problem-in-visual-studio-2019>.
This kind of thing would be genuinely offputting for a beginner and it was no fun for me either, can we have some established and maintained record of how to do basic things like how to set up a project?

I admit part of the problem is visual studio's hostility, but that's something we've got to live with.

thanks

Eric Vergnaud

Aug 2, 2020, 8:45:58 PM8/2/20
to antlr-discussion
Hi,

how about you put together a guide for VS2019 and submit a PR?

Eric

edgar hoover

Aug 3, 2020, 6:43:20 AM8/3/20
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Well the StackOverflow answer *is* the guide, more or less, but I spent a lot of time browsing the web and trying on the outdated info there - I'm almost a total beginner again with VS, and certainly VS + antlr so I'm almost the wrong person to do it. But maybe.

Also, to where will the PR be pulled?

If it doesn't take too much time, maybe I can.

(As it happens the SO answer is not the entire story, I'm trying to understand how the project fits together (where are the antlr output files going? How are they picked up; is it just any .cs file in some given directory that the compiler grabs? etc) and how it compiles, which will be useful info I can add).

jan

Le 2 août 2020 à 22:56, 'edgar hoover' via antlr-discussion <antlr-di...@googlegroups.com> a écrit :

Hi all,
I haven't touched antlr for a fair while.  I tried to get it working again to start a new project and it cost me an entire day of reading around, trying things and having them fail.  I finally got what I needed -- a working project -- with the help of Ken Domino, see <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63191238/antlr4-runtime-problem-in-visual-studio-2019>.
This kind of thing would be genuinely offputting for a beginner and it was no fun for me either, can we have some established and maintained record of how to do basic things like how to set up a project?

I admit part of the problem is visual studio's hostility, but that's something we've got to live with.

thanks

Eric Vergnaud

Aug 3, 2020, 6:57:49 AM8/3/20
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
You could add a link here:

Le 3 août 2020 à 18:43, 'edgar hoover' via antlr-discussion <antlr-di...@googlegroups.com> a écrit :

Well the StackOverflow answer *is* the guide, more or less, but I spent a lot of time browsing the web and trying on the outdated info there - I'm almost a total beginner again with VS, and certainly VS + antlr so I'm almostthe wrong person to do this. But maybe.

[...]

edgar hoover

Aug 3, 2020, 8:26:32 AM8/3/20
to antlr-discussion
Suppose you were a beginner, either to antlr or to VStudio+antlr. How would you even find this location?

A little while ago I looked for the output langs generated by antlr and couldn't find them, I had to ask here, and got the answer, but I really did look hard for that info and still had to ask. Maybe I got unlucky but antlr's useful info is not concentrated in one easy place as it needs to be eg. here <https://www.antlr.org/>

jan

Eric Vergnaud

Aug 3, 2020, 10:57:11 AM8/3/20
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Terence and I will be more than happy to consider proposals to improve the adoption experience.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/antlr-discussion/557412d4-1752-4526-9ed3-5c9c71c4d058o%40googlegroups.com.

edgar hoover

Aug 3, 2020, 11:49:27 AM8/3/20
to antlr-discussion
That's fair. Let me chew it over.

jan

Steve Nicholson

Aug 5, 2020, 4:58:06 PM8/5/20
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
We use ANTLR as part of a commercial product. My manager and I both value giving back to open source projects whenever we can, so I got his ok to spend some time on this over the next couple weeks. Jan, if you want to contact me directly perhaps we can work together on coming up with a game plan. I’m using ANTLR specifically with C#, so hopefully that’s helpful.

-Steve Nicholson

On Aug 3, 2020, at 8:49 AM, 'edgar hoover' via antlr-discussion <antlr-di...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/antlr-discussion/2130ac19-c978-4ede-920b-a9b64e59d727o%40googlegroups.com.