Opinion - antlr vs babeljs for custom syntax on top of JavaScript libraries

Kumar Gaurav

May 9, 2018, 6:16:35 AM5/9/18
to antlr-discussion
I have to develop a custom syntax (language) which under the hood executes functions from JavaScript and also from its external libraries, e.g. redux, d3.js, mathjs, etc. This will be executed in a web-based editor with features like syntax-coloring, auto-complete, etc. (hope to use monaco-editor-language-extension for this).
Going through resources, I understand that a grammar and a parser is needed to facilitate transpilation. What I am not sure about is whether transpiling to JS would allow calling libraries which themselves use custom parser to run as JS code. What am I thinking wrong here, I must be (react transpiles, right)?
I have a feeling that this could transpile to noob itself, but I am kind of lost here in the web.
Question: Should I be writing a babel-plugin, or use something like antlr? Please feel free and superkind to point to resources.
P.S. I have no prior experience in grammar/parser design, you might want to consider this in weighing options, but please defend a production-superior, if any. Thanks for your time!