ANTLR 4 IDE released!

Edgar Espina

Jan 5, 2014, 8:40:24 PM1/5/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Oh yea, Eclipse support for ANTLR 4!

give it a try and enjoy it!

Jim Idle

Jan 6, 2014, 2:18:36 AM1/6/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Well done Edgar - I have wanted to do this for a while but had no time. I do find Xtext to be a little buggy and heavyweight, but it does the job. I wish they would move to ANTLR v4 and had not decided to change the standard syntax (it makes sharing grammars between compilers and xtext projects a bit of a PITA). But all in all it does what it says on the box and these things are quite complex to maintain (and Eclipse doesn't help ;).

Thanks for the effort - I will be using it heavily so I will give you constructive feedback when I can :).

Perhaps you should/could add StringTemplate 4 support to the project - given that you probably have a lot of the guts of what would be needed, you might find it fairly easy; just adding coloration would help a lot of people I think.

Cheers,

Jim

Edgar Espina

Jan 6, 2014, 6:02:41 AM1/6/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Jim.

Agreed about Xtext. They should keep the ANTLR syntax and definitely move to v4 :). Still not sure about Xtext being heavyweight (you known, Eclipse is heavyweight), it was in the past. For now, Xtext does everything and pretty good in my opinion, it is simple and easy to maintain.

Next steps are TestRig (or similar) and then yes; the StringTemplate 4 editor.

Terence Parr

Jan 6, 2014, 1:06:13 PM1/6/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
wow! Great! :)
Ter

Terence Parr

Jan 6, 2014, 1:13:28 PM1/6/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com

Juan Alvaro Muñoz Naranjo

Mar 21, 2014, 1:02:30 PM3/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I just joined.

Edgar, I'm trying to install the plugin from Eclipse Kepler but the URL provided with the instalation instructions doesn't seem to be OK (https://github.com/jknack/antlr4ide/raw/master/updates/release/4.3). I get the following error message:

Unable to read repository at https://github.com/jknack/antlr4ide/raw/master/updates/release/4.3/content.jar.
Unable to read repository at https://github.com/jknack/antlr4ide/raw/master/updates/release/4.3/content.jar.
handshake alert:  unrecognized_name

Any clue?

Thanks for your time!

Juan

Terence Parr

Mar 21, 2014, 1:21:46 PM3/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
I just clicked on the link for the content.jar and works for me.

Bence Erős

Mar 21, 2014, 1:44:10 PM3/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

the content.jar link works for me too but the directory link https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jknack/antlr4ide/master/updates/release/4.3 gives HTTP 500:
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
[...]

500: Internal Server Error

--
Bence Erős
CyclonePHP

Terence Parr

Mar 21, 2014, 1:46:33 PM3/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
ah.  must be a problem at github

Edgar Espina

Mar 21, 2014, 3:55:40 PM3/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
a few comments:

1. the update site url isn't reachable from any client or browser. Only Eclipse can access to the URL.
2. the handsake error is something from Java 7 and I wrote a workaround previously in the thread, please check.

if you need help you can ask here, I'm sure someone will help you. Just keep in mind ANTLR IDE is a separated project and support/help is done on github or google-group.

Thanks

Juan Alvaro Muñoz Naranjo

Mar 21, 2014, 8:34:08 PM3/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Edgar for the info. And thanks Bence and antlr_guy for your quick responses ;) I got it to work with the aforementioned workaround.

With your permission I'm copying it below just in case any other one ends up here (I suggest to add this to the installation instructions at Github):

found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7615645/ssl-handshake-alert-unrecognized-name-error-since-upgrade-to-java-1-7-0

and have to add this:
-Djsse.enableSNIExtension=false
to my eclipse.ini file...

Edgar Espina

Mar 22, 2014, 8:08:00 PM3/22/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
you can use this url  https://rawgithub.com/jknack/antlr4ide/master/updates/release/4.3 now, without -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=false

something had change in github...

Jim Idle

Mar 23, 2014, 8:58:55 PM3/23/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
What are you using to generate the update site from the xtext artifiacts? The built in projects just crash with Xtext projects saying that they cannot find source code for parts of the projects. The only way I can create the plugin jars is to export them from the xtext projects and tell the export to use the existing artifacts. Not strictly relevant to ANTLR but if anyone else wants to build plugins for ANTLR they may well find this information useful.

BTW - while ti works, their are quite a few idiosyncrasies using the plugings withing an m2e maven project (rebuilding grammars more than once and getting a little out of sync with the lifecycle of maven/m2e [or so it seems]) - have you tried with a Maven project?

Jim

Edgar Espina

Mar 24, 2014, 12:00:37 PM3/24/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
just wrote a build and Eclipse setup:

It works fine with Maven, see the Travis CI build and I don't use the m2e Eclipse plugin... so I can't help you there.

I didn't get what do you mean with:
What are you using to generate the update site from the xtext artifiacts?

Jim Idle

Mar 24, 2014, 9:57:13 PM3/24/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
OK - when I have more time I will send you details of what goes wrong with m2e. It still works but it keeps unnecessarily building the grammars and sometimes does not build them when it should.

Jim