how to java?

Buck Golemon

Jun 21, 2014, 10:45:27 PM6/21/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
We have a project where we'd like to use antlr4+python.
I realize this isn't a completed feature yet, and I'd like to dig and see if I can help out.

Not being a Java guy though, I'm perplexed by pom.xml and its ilk.
I had hoped to see a 'how to build' section in the readme, but had no such luck.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction for bootstrapping myself on this tool chain?

Alejandro Dobniewski

Jun 23, 2014, 3:05:35 PM6/23/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Maven is a build tool where you supposedly write all dependencies and phases of compilation in a declarative way in pom.xml and following predefined conventions. The only way to learn the conventions is searching maven documentation and googling.
I usually find it messy and prefer alternatives like Gradle, like this Gradle plugin that does compile antlr4 projects https://github.com/melix/antlr4-gradle-plugin.
If you must or prefer keep using Maven you should search about the maven antlr4 plugin and check if there are archetypes for it. Archetypes in maven are templates for new projects that help you to get started.
Also this link may help you http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14926060/how-to-automatically-generate-lexerparser-with-antlr4-and-maven.

Good luck
Alejandro

jonathan...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2014, 8:00:31 PM6/23/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
I found this guide very helpful for building with Maven:
https://theantlrguy.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ANTLR4/Building+ANTLR+4+with+Maven

I just built the latest 4.3 with Maven on Ubuntu so I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Buck Golemon

Jun 23, 2014, 8:42:05 PM6/23/14
Thanks guys.

I found that wiki too, and it seemed to work for me.
I get some reasonable-looking test failures on the python-target branch, but it's not clear to me how to run them individually.

My goal is to find the shortest workflow for a fix-test cycle.

Would you normally run an unqualified `mvn install` after making a change?

Terence Parr

Jun 24, 2014, 2:42:46 PM6/24/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
 we are almost ready to release 4.4, which incorporates the new Python two and three targets.
Ter

Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.

Larry Dingle

Jul 4, 2014, 11:35:21 AM7/4/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Yes!