RE: [antlr-interest] LL(*)

Sam Harwell

Dec 1, 2012, 10:46:31 AM12/1/12
to Borneq, antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The new ANTLR mailing list can be found here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/antlr-discussion

Here is Terence's PLDI 2011 paper which describes LL(*):
http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2011-February/040669.html

--
Sam Harwell
Owner, Lead Developer

Dec 1, 2012, 12:37:37 PM12/1/12
to Borneq, antlr-interest, antlr-di...@googlegroups.com

Andrzej Borucki

Dec 2, 2012, 4:43:10 PM12/2/12
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, Borneq
The new ANTLR mailing list can be found here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/antlr-discussion

Hi, my name in old mailing list was Borneq.
I move to the new list.
Thanks, I read and analyse http://www.antlr.org/papers/LL-star-PLDI11.pdf, it is great article. In parr.phd.thesis.pdf is described LL(1). It is necessary to understand LL(*) or in  LL-star-PLDI11.pdf is condensed all algorithm?

Andrzej Borucki

Dec 2, 2012, 4:55:44 PM12/2/12
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, Borneq

Thanks, I read and analyse http://www.antlr.org/papers/LL-star-PLDI11.pdf, it is great article. In parr.phd.thesis.pdf is described LL(1). It is necessary to understand LL(*) or in  LL-star-PLDI11.pdf is condensed all algorithm?

LL(k)

Terence Parr

Dec 2, 2012, 5:48:27 PM12/2/12
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, Borneq
Hi. Sorry, but I don't understand the question. LL(*) is strictly more powerful than the LL(k) stuff described in my thesis. LL(k) is a subset of LL(*).

Ter

Andrzej Borucki

Dec 2, 2012, 11:03:31 PM12/2/12
W dniu niedziela, 2 grudnia 2012 23:48:27 UTC+1 użytkownik the_antlr_guy napisał:
Hi. Sorry, but I don't understand the question.  LL(*) is strictly more powerful than the LL(k) stuff described in my thesis.  LL(k) is a subset of LL(*).

Sorry for my English, not "all algorithm"  but "whole algorithm". LL-star-PLDI11.pdf describes LL(*) used in ANTLR 3 and 4, but parr.phd.thesis.pdf is big document where is described LL(k) used in ANTLR 2 I think.
While is described algoriyhm LL(*), additionaly with predicates and mutators, I concentrate on this document rather than LL(k). But in parr.phd.thesis.pdf is described inter alia lookahead algorithm. In thesis are GLA automata, in LL-star-PLDI11.pdf are ATN a deterministic DFA. Which parts of Thesis document is necessary to study with LL-star paper?
Thanks,

Terence Parr

Dec 3, 2012, 12:45:55 AM12/3/12
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
You can ignore my thesis…everyone else has ;)
Ter