Development started for WebAssembly target

Mike Lischke

Jul 19, 2023, 5:58:21 AM7/19/23
to 'ANTLR announcements
Hi all,

This is to let you know that I started the development of a WebAssembly runtime for ANTLR4 - an idea that is floating around since years already. I just published the first batch of files (https://github.com/mike-lischke/antlr4wasm) for early testing.

Early testing here means: parsing does not work, not even lexing input, but ground has been laid to have a foundation to work with and many of the initial (and sometimes difficult) problems have been solved (or at least understood enough, to know limitations or to provide workarounds). Typescript type definitions exist for many of the runtime classes and some of them can already be used standalone (like the vocabulary).

If there's any interest for this new runtime, especially to help with getting it to work, I'd happily provide more details.

Main motivation for this new target is to get high performance parsing in modern web applications, with nearly native C++ speed.

Eric Vergnaud

Jul 19, 2023, 6:37:51 AM7/19/23
to 'rtm...@googlemail.com' via antlr-discussion
Hi Mike,

this is great news. I was considering doing the same, and have language targets all use the same WebAsm runtime, for a future version of antlr.

Can you move this to GitHub antlr4 discussions ?

Eric

Mike Lischke

Jul 19, 2023, 7:34:41 AM7/19/23
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com