mvn is just so...awesome! NOT

Terence Parr

Jan 23, 2015, 8:59:53 PM1/23/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
re: mvn. I originally had a mistake where I had crisscrossed the source and Javadoc jars.

I *thought* I was overwriting/reuploading things when mvn said *uploading* but apparently it did not overwrite the old jars. Piece of shit. I KNEW I shouldn’t trust that mvn bi-yatch! damn. ok, so those two are reversed and I’m not sure what to do. Maybe I have to push out another one that is, what, 4.5-1? I think that is the mvn convention. Can anyone comment on how to fix a flubbed mvn release? I think I’m going to hunt down who wrote this mvn tool. It’s an abomination before Allah.

Ter

Martin Traverso

Jan 23, 2015, 9:08:52 PM1/23/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Are you uploading to Sonatype OSS repo? If you haven't closed/released the staging repository yet, you should be able to log into the Sonatype UI and drop it.

Martin

Terence Parr

Jan 23, 2015, 9:09:44 PM1/23/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
I have closed and released I am afraid.  I checked the files that I was uploading but of course it somehow switched them!!! grrr.

I think this means a new release.

Ter

Sam Harwell

Jan 23, 2015, 9:17:17 PM1/23/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com

I think you can release over the top of the old ones to overwrite them, but it won’t show up immediately in Maven Central. You should be able to verify by downloading them from the sonatype staging URL after releasing them.

--

Sam Harwell

Owner, Lead Developer

http://tunnelvisionlabs.com

Terence Parr

Jan 23, 2015, 9:22:28 PM1/23/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
cool. will give it a try.
Ter

Martin Traverso

Jan 23, 2015, 9:26:19 PM1/23/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Maven releases are write-once (at least as far as Sonatype Nexus / maven central is concerned), so that won't work.

I'm talking to a friend that knows the people at Sonatype, so I we might be able to help fix it. Give me a bit to figure it out.

Martin

Terence Parr

Jan 24, 2015, 12:24:14 AM1/24/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. or we can just do 4.5-1 release
I’m sure it’s my fault. I must have messed this up.
Ter

Terence Parr

Jan 24, 2015, 1:24:33 AM1/24/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Hiya. This looks like it updated per timestamps:

terence:~ $ for f in antlr4-*.jar; do echo $f; jar tvf $f | head -3; done
antlr4-4.5-javadoc.jar
 87220 Fri Jan 23 18:22:58 PST 2015 JavaTool/allclasses-frame.html
 76000 Fri Jan 23 18:22:58 PST 2015 JavaTool/allclasses-noframe.html
261175 Fri Jan 23 18:22:58 PST 2015 JavaTool/constant-values.html
antlr4-4.5-sources.jar
  9196 Fri Jan 23 18:15:40 PST 2015 org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRErrorListener.java
  5711 Fri Jan 23 18:15:40 PST 2015 org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRErrorStrategy.java
  2303 Fri Jan 23 18:15:40 PST 2015 org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRFileStream.java
antlr4-runtime-4.5-javadoc.jar
 29509 Fri Jan 23 18:22:50 PST 2015 Java/allclasses-frame.html
 25689 Fri Jan 23 18:22:50 PST 2015 Java/allclasses-noframe.html
 39914 Fri Jan 23 18:22:50 PST 2015 Java/constant-values.html
antlr4-runtime-4.5-sources.jar
  9196 Fri Jan 23 18:15:40 PST 2015 org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRErrorListener.java
  5711 Fri Jan 23 18:15:40 PST 2015 org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRErrorStrategy.java
  2303 Fri Jan 23 18:15:40 PST 2015 org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRFileStream.java

wow. it let me change the files. cool! can a maven person confirm via mvn usage?

thanks!

Ter

Martin Traverso

Jan 26, 2015, 11:02:58 AM1/26/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Looks like that worked. The artifact in maven central looks correct now that you re-released it. That was surprising, since releases are supposed to be immutable (clients can -- and do -- cache downloaded release artifacts aggressively).

Martin

Terence Parr

Jan 26, 2015, 11:29:23 AM1/26/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
yeah, weird. i’ve heard they are write-once too. I can’t believe i figured it out. I really am not gifted with the brains to understand any part of mvn so this is a surprise.

Ter

Martin Traverso

Jan 26, 2015, 2:04:44 PM1/26/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so this is what happened... The artifacts on maven central are, indeed, immutable. The process that syncs from sonatype to central looks at the most recently released artifacts and copies them to central only if they don't already exist there. You just got lucky and happened to release your updated version before the sync process had a chance to run.

Martin

Terence Parr

Jan 26, 2015, 2:33:07 PM1/26/15
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
omg!  I have the luck of the Irish I tell you! Perhaps it is a built-in grace period for those of us with smaller, less agile brains?
Ter
Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.