Seminar: Human Faces: Reconstruction, Reimagination and Representation in a Digital Landscape

1 view

Gabriel Bodard

Mar 21, 2022, 11:04:32 AM3/21/22
to Antiquist
Digital Humanities and Materiality

Online seminar: free but booking required at https://www.sas.ac.uk/events/event/25362

Speaker: Elysia Greenway (Liverpool John Moores University)

The human face is an area of our bodies with a huge amount of biological and social importance, moreover, is the corporal platform for writing and reading identity. The materiality of the human face, or its representation, is therefore enormously complex and transcends many disciplines. While a representation of a human face can include effigies, impressions and artwork spanning across the human record, for this context they will be limited to facial depictions and approximations based on human remains. With advancements in digital technologies and its ever-growing dominance in our lives, it is unsurprising the reconstructed human face in digital landscapes is an emerging field of study. This lecture, while navigating the intersections of science, art and humanities, will focus on the reconstruction of forensic and archaeological unidentified remains. Additionally, the exploration of tensions involved within the reimagination of identity and the complexities surrounding the presentation of and responses to a reconstructed digital face will be discussed.

This seminar is co-hosted by the Digital Humanities Research Hub, University of London, UK, and Star-UBB Institute of Advanced Studies, University Babeș-Bolyai, Cluj Napoca, Romania.

At the speaker's request this seminar will not be recorded to Youtube, so joining us live tomorrow is the only way to hear it!

==
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Institute of Classical Studies / Digital Humanities Research Hub
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HU

E: Gabriel...@sas.ac.uk
T: +44 (0)20 78628752

Especially at the moment, I may email at odd hours of the day and night/days of the week. I do not ever expect a reply outside of your working hours.