Assembling People and Worlds in Digital Archaeology (seminar April 16)

Gabriel Bodard

Apr 4, 2024, 6:29:58 AMApr 4
to Antiquist
Tuesday 16 April 2024, 16:00–17:15 BST

Colleen Morgan (University of York)
Assembling People and Worlds in Digital Archaeology

This lecture will address work spanning the past 16 years in experimental making and being the digital dead. Through multiple case studies including Çatalhöyük in Second Life, OTHER EYES, and Zooarchaeological Symphonies we will explore fundamental contributions digital archaeology can make towards questions such as how does archaeology understand what being a person is? and how does archaeology make people and places? Following these questions, I will offer new perspectives regarding the peopling of the past and embodiment in archaeology, including the ethical and political considerations that accompany this work.

The Spring 2024 Material Digital Humanities seminar is organised by Gabriel Bodard, Shawn Graham and Rada Varga and co-hosted by the Digital Humanities Research Hub, University of London, UK; Department of History, Carleton University, Canada; Star-UBB Institute of Advanced Studies, University Babeș-Bolyai, Cluj Napoca, Romania.

This seminar series will present a range of discussions around materiality and the research possibilities offered by digital methods and approaches. More than just the value of digitization and computational research to the study of material culture, we are especially interested in theoretical and digital approaches to the question of materiality itself. We do not restrict ourselves to any period of history or academic discipline, but want to encourage interdisciplinarity and collaborative work, and the valuable exchange of ideas enabled by cross-pollination of languages, areas of history, geography and cultures.

All welcome

This event is free to attend, but booking is required. It will be held online with details about how to join the virtual event being circulated via email to registered attendees 24 hours in advance.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Director of Studies (research): Digital Humanities Research Hub
Director of Studies (research): Institute of Classical Studies

Mailing address:
  Institute of Classical Studies
  University of London
  Senate House
  Malet Street
  London WC1E 7HU

Especially at the moment, I may email at odd hours of the day and night/days of the week. I do not ever expect a reply outside of your working hours.