Online seminar: The Materiality of Interpretive 3D Models

Gabriel Bodard

May 3, 2024, 9:14:25 AMMay 3
to Antiquist

The Materiality of Interpretive 3D Models

Tuesday May 7, 2024 at 16:00-17:15 BST

Speaker: Orly Lewis (Hebrew University Jerusalem)

The application of 3D modelling in the humanities is steadily growing. This includes the design and creation of digital 3D interpretive representations of objects described in historical texts but for which we have partial or no direct visual or material evidence. Once created, the digital models can be viewed, manipulated and studied by scholars and students, and even printed to become a physical object. But what kind of sources are these 3D digital or printed models - are they material sources? Are they “secondary sources” similar to a research article or a commentary? And how can one reflect interpretive decisions in a 3D model?

This talk will engage with these questions through the case of 3D models of ancient anatomical ideas. I will discuss the work of project ATLOMY on the history of anatomy and explain the process of creating such models based on textual and non-textual sources. I will then consider how 3D models can be used in further research, possible caveats and how these can be addressed in the production process.

Register at: <https://www.sas.ac.uk/events/materiality-interpretive-3d-models>

The Spring 2024 Material Digital Humanities seminar is organised by Gabriel Bodard, Shawn Graham and Rada Varga and co-hosted by the Digital Humanities Research Hub, University of London, UK; Department of History, Carleton University, Canada; Star-UBB Institute of Advanced Studies, University Babeș-Bolyai, Cluj Napoca, Romania.

This seminar series will present a range of discussions around materiality and the research possibilities offered by digital methods and approaches. More than just the value of digitization and computational research to the study of material culture, we are especially interested in theoretical and digital approaches to the question of materiality itself. We do not restrict ourselves to any period of history or academic discipline, but want to encourage interdisciplinarity and collaborative work, and the valuable exchange of ideas enabled by cross-pollination of languages, areas of history, geography and cultures.

All welcome

This event is free to attend, but booking is required. It will be held online with details about how to join the virtual event being circulated via email to registered attendees 24 hours in advance.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Director of Studies (research): Digital Humanities Research Hub
Director of Studies (research): Institute of Classical Studies

Mailing address:
  Institute of Classical Studies
  University of London
  Senate House
  Malet Street
  London WC1E 7HU

Due to new IT security rules, I am currently not able to read or reply to email outside of office hours, or while travelling or working from home. This may result in slower replies than usual.