Research-based 3D reconstructions of built heritage environments (seminar)

1 view

Gabriel Bodard

Jul 27, 2023, 1:32:15 PM7/27/23
to Antiquist
Digital Classicist London seminar

Luca Brunke (University of Exeter)
Research-based 3D reconstructions of built heritage environments

Friday, Jul 28 2023, 17:00-18:00

Room 349, Institute of Classical Studies, University of London
And streamed live at https://youtu.be/ZVpYDp2uUbU

This paper provides insight into my ongoing PhD research on research-based 3D reconstructions of built heritage environments with a focus on the documentation, interoperability and uncertainty of the research data. By analysing current methods and developing them further, I aim to make the methods more accessible and consistent with existing guidelines and best practices like the London Charter, Principles of Seville and FAIR Principles.

The project uses a combination of traditional archival methods and innovative digital technologies such as 3D building surveys, freehand and parametric modelling. It also uses the integration of multiple software applications and their programming interfaces (APIs) for enhanced functionality and efficiency. Therefore, the significance of this research lies in its aim to connect digital 3D data with art historical research data, allowing for an improved understanding of historical spaces. Additionally, the workflow will be optimized to make it accessible for museum curators. To achieve this in accordance with the best practices, the project relies on the CIDOC Conceptual Reference Model (CIDOC CRM) to create interoperable data and may also implement the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) to deliver the research data in a standardized way and make it reusable.

As part of a collaborative project, two other PhD students and I are working on the case studies of the Palazzo Medici and the Church of San Pancrazio in Florence. This paper presents a critical review of our ongoing work on the first case study of the Palazzo Medici. Our goal is to create an interrogable digital model and a visual representation of the 15th century ‘camera grande terrena’, which was once occupied by Lorenzo Medici and contained paintings such as Paolo Uccello's Battle of San Romano.

ALL WELCOME

==
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Institute of Classical Studies / Digital Humanities Research Hub
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HU

E: Gabriel...@sas.ac.uk
T: +44 (0)20 78628752

Especially at the moment, I may email at odd hours of the day and night/days of the week. I do not ever expect a reply outside of your working hours.