Seminar: Archaeology, materiality and geo-space (March 8, 4pm)

Gabriel Bodard

Mar 2, 2022, 7:00:22 AM3/2/22
to Antiquist
Online seminar March 8, 2022, 16:00pm–17:15 GMT

Archaeology, materiality and geo-space half a century after the 'spatial turn'
Piraye Hacıgüzeller (University of Antwerp)

All welcome, but booking essential: https://www.sas.ac.uk/events/event/25361

In this lecture, I will be posing a range of questions and conducting a range of experiments into the materiality of both analogue and digital archaeological geospaces. To start with, I will be asking whether archaeological geospaces have materiality, that is, whether any meaning is attached to metrically correct representations of archaeological spaces based on their material nature. I will experiment with and reflect on the absence of artifacts in archaeological geospaces and why archaeological materialities are almost always articulated through architectural remains there. I will also be conducting experiments on what it might mean to have a really deep map of a particular archaeological place and whether we should really feel like we've accomplished something when we have so many layers and information to map a place. That is, I will be asking, whether more is really more when it comes to mapping archaeological spaces and if we really should be so enthralled by “Big Maps” in archaeology.

==
Dr Gabriel BODARD (he/him)
Reader in Digital Classics

Institute of Classical Studies / Digital Humanities Research Hub
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HU

E: Gabriel...@sas.ac.uk
T: +44 (0)20 78628752

Especially at the moment, I may email at odd hours of the day and night/days of the week. I do not ever expect a reply outside of your working hours.