Splitting a geosphere in half

Gerry in Quebec

Apr 16, 2024, 8:22:32 PMApr 16
to antiprism

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to use Antiprism to create a set a set of vertices that defines a hemispheric truncation plane without that plane intersecting any of the polyhedron's vertices? The case I have in mind is the 2v icosa class I geodesic sphere:

geodesic -c 1 -f 2 ico | antiview

So in summary, I'm trying to define a great circle, with maybe 5 or 10 vertices, that doesn't pass through any of the geosphere's 42 vertices.

 Thanks in advance for any help with this.

 - Gerry in Québec

Gerry in Quebec

Apr 18, 2024, 9:49:11 AMApr 18
to antiprism
I used off_trans to offset the equator of the 2v icosa, class I geosphere by 11.5 degrees (more or less arbitrary). I then added the coordinates of the 10 new vertices to the base OFF file. So, problem solved.
Cheers,
- Gerry

Gerry in Quebec

Apr 18, 2024, 10:00:47 AMApr 18
to antiprism
Here's the result of the exercise.
Great circle bypassing all other vertices.png

Toby Kelsey

Apr 19, 2024, 12:32:34 PMApr 19
to anti...@googlegroups.com
I can't think of an automatic way to do this but if you rotate the polyhedron appropriately with "off_trans" and then color the vertices by Z value using "off_color -v C" you can see which ones are positive or negative Z position. Then (manually) remove all vertices with negative Z coordinate (and associated faces) leaving the positive hemisphere vertices only.

Toby
--
Antiprism Site: http://www.antiprism.com
---