Antiprism Spin

Roger Kaufman

Jun 9, 2024, 6:17:01 PMJun 9
to antiprism
Hi Adrian,

I just noticed the antiview help has 2 different listings for 'r'.

   r - rotate, turn the model about its centre
   r - reset, reset to the initial viewing options

Reset is capital R for me. But 'r' doesn't seem to do anything unless
I'm using it wrong.

Roger

Adrian Rossiter

Jun 10, 2024, 2:48:16 AMJun 10
to antiprism
Hi Roger
The help should say "R - reset". I will fix that.

Regarding 'r', antiview has modes for what the mouse/arrow keys
control, which are: rotate (r), drag (d) and zoom (z). If you press d,
for example, you can drag the model, and if you then press r you can
rotate it again.

I would like to make an Antiprism release in the next two weeks. I'll
start reviewing everything for that this week.

Adrian.
--
Adrian Rossiter - adr...@antiprism.com
http://www.instagram.com/adrian_rossiter

Roger Kaufman

Jun 10, 2024, 9:07:05 AMJun 10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

On 6/10/2024 2:48 AM, Adrian Rossiter wrote:
> The help should say "R - reset". I will fix that.
>
> Regarding 'r', antiview has modes for what the mouse/arrow keys
> control, which are: rotate (r), drag (d) and zoom (z). If you press d,
> for example, you can drag the model, and if you then press r you can
> rotate it again.
>
> I would like to make an Antiprism release in the next two weeks. I'll
> start reviewing everything for that this week.

I don't know how I got confused on that. I does say "Menu Items", but
perhaps it should say "Popup Menu Items" or something. It is all in
context to the paragraph above the list, about the arrow controls.

About the 's' key: Let's call the behavior of the mouse when antiview
starts, behavior 1. Once 's' is pressed it goes into behavior 2. 's'
stops the spin, but moving the model with the mouse again it remains in
behavior 2. There is no way to get back to behavior 1 except to exit and
restart. Maybe 'R' could also reset that as in  "R - reset, reset to the
initial viewing options and spin control"

Roger

Adrian Rossiter

Jun 10, 2024, 11:17:58 AMJun 10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024, Roger Kaufman wrote:
> About the 's' key: Let's call the behavior of the mouse when antiview starts,
> behavior 1. Once 's' is pressed it goes into behavior 2. 's' stops the spin,
> but moving the model with the mouse again it remains in behavior 2. There is
> no way to get back to behavior 1 except to exit and restart. Maybe 'R' could
> also reset that as in  "R - reset, reset to the initial viewing options and
> spin control"

If the last key pressed is 's' then the mouse controls spin. If r/d/z/S
is pressed then the mouse controls rotation/drag/zoom/slice, but any
spinning is still maintained.

'R' resets the original camera and stops any spinning, but doesn't
set the last "mode" key to 'r', so if the last "mode" key pressed is's'
then the next mouse click will set the spin.

Thinking about it, 's' works exactly like the other mode keys, apart
from the fact that it will stop any spin when it is pressed. I think I
could document it like that.

Roger Kaufman

Jun 10, 2024, 12:05:08 PMJun 10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

On 6/10/2024 11:17 AM, Adrian Rossiter wrote:
> If the last key pressed is 's' then the mouse controls spin. If r/d/z/S
> is pressed then the mouse controls rotation/drag/zoom/slice, but any
> spinning is still maintained.
>
> 'R' resets the original camera and stops any spinning, but doesn't
> set the last "mode" key to 'r', so if the last "mode" key pressed is's'
> then the next mouse click will set the spin.
>
> Thinking about it, 's' works exactly like the other mode keys, apart
> from the fact that it will stop any spin when it is pressed. I think I
> could document it like that.

I see it like this. The mouse modes are r/s, d, z and S.

If s is pressed the spin mode stays in s mode even while d ,z or S is
pressed (regardless is the model is spin on/spin off with the s toggle).

The only way to get back to r mode is if s in toggled to spin off.

I think this is right.

Roger

P.S. I especially like setting slice (S) and then going to zoom (z) and
running the model through the slice. However, once the slice is set it
remain there (in any mode) until R is pressed. If it is in Slice mode
and R is pressed, it may feel like the model is locked up, but it is
really still in Slice mode.

Adrian Rossiter

Jun 11, 2024, 4:32:33 AMJun 11
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024, Roger Kaufman wrote:
> On 6/10/2024 11:17 AM, Adrian Rossiter wrote:
>> Thinking about it, 's' works exactly like the other mode keys, apart
>> from the fact that it will stop any spin when it is pressed. I think I
>> could document it like that.
>
> I see it like this. The mouse modes are r/s, d, z and S.
>
> If s is pressed the spin mode stays in s mode even while d ,z or S is pressed
> (regardless is the model is spin on/spin off with the s toggle).
>
> The only way to get back to r mode is if s in toggled to spin off.

All the modes are equivalent with respect to the mouse receiving contol,
and in all cases changing the mode doesn't undo the effects of another
mode. For example, if you press 'd' and drag a model, then press 'r' to
rotate it, the model is still where it was dragged. Similarly, if you
press 's' to spin a model, then press 'r' to rotate it, if the model is
spinning when you press 'r' then it is still spinning.

The difference with 's' is that when it is pressed it has an extra initial
action to stop any spinning (as this is difficult to do with the mouse).
However, rather than clear the current spin rotation, which would cause
a rotation jump like you see with 'R', it will add the spin rotation to
the current static rotation, and so both 's' and 'r' are able to change
the static rotation state.

I also notice that with 's' all the arrow keys initiate the same spin,
while they could probably initiate spins around the camera coordinate
axes (adding to the rate with each press). However, I won't look at this
at this time.

Roger Kaufman

Jun 11, 2024, 11:12:19 AMJun 11
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

On 6/11/2024 4:32 AM, Adrian Rossiter wrote:
> a rotation jump like you see with 'R', it will add the spin rotation to
> the current static rotation, and so both 's' and 'r' are able to change
> the static rotation state.

I see that s and r are working together.

> I also notice that with 's' all the arrow keys initiate the same spin,
> while they could probably initiate spins around the camera coordinate
> axes (adding to the rate with each press). However, I won't look at this
> at this time.

antiview cubo shows that it is rotating through 1,1,0.

For the online viewer the parameter default axis is 0,1,0 (globe
rotation). An axis is hard to set by mouse so being able to precisely
set it as a parameter is a plus. However what we don't have is arbitrary
spin axis like 's' gives antiview.

Roger

Adrian Rossiter

Jun 12, 2024, 7:37:51 AMJun 12
to antiprism
Hi Roger

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024, Adrian Rossiter wrote:
> I would like to make an Antiprism release in the next two weeks. I'll
> start reviewing everything for that this week.

I have updated the repository with your latest changes.

The README and NEWS (apart from release date) look fine to me, unless
there is anything you want to add or change.

I have added in the expanded colour map documentation at
doc_src/programs/color_maps.gtm

I have updated the antiview help for s mode, and corrected the reset
letter to 'R'.

I'll go through my emails to see if there were any other documentation
issues I missed, and then look at some testing.

Roger Kaufman

Jun 14, 2024, 10:27:07 AMJun 14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

On 6/12/2024 7:37 AM, Adrian Rossiter wrote:
> I have updated the repository with your latest changes.
>
> The README and NEWS (apart from release date) look fine to me, unless
> there is anything you want to add or change.
>
> I have added in the expanded colour map documentation at
> doc_src/programs/color_maps.gtm
>
> I have updated the antiview help for s mode, and corrected the reset
> letter to 'R'.
>
> I'll go through my emails to see if there were any other documentation
> issues I missed, and then look at some testing.

The NEWS looks good to me.

"minor bug fixes and improvements" will take care of any small problems
I've found and fixed over the last year.

Roger