When the Entire Isotropic Vector Matrix Jitterbugs

Cool Guy

Jul 18, 2017, 5:12:36 AM7/18/17
to antiprism

Hi, I'm trying to confirm what happens when the entire Isotropic Vector Matrix Jitterbugs:

It seems to me,
When the entire Isotropic Vector Matrix Jitterbugs, first the Cuboctahedrons all become Octahedrons, and the Octahedrons space all become Cuboctahedrons.  Is this correct?

The next step in the Isotropic Vector Matrix after the Cuboctahedrons becoming Octahedrons and the Octahedrons space becoming Cuboctahedrons, is for the Octahedrons to go a step further and become Great Icosahedrons. I think the following gif image does not show the overlapping Cuboctahedrons. If you pause the gif image after the Cuboctahedrons have become Octahedrons, you can imagine a Cuboctahedron in the space where there is nothing. As the Octahedrons become Great Icosahedrons, the 12 points of the (blank space) Cuboctahedron apparently converge to the center point of this (blank) Cuboctahedron, and they then continue and de-converge, becoming Octahedrons again, but turned inside out, and finally they become Cuboctahedrons again, again, also turned inside out.

Is this correct?  Do the Cuboctahedrons become Octahedrons, and then farther, and the Octahedrons become Cuboctrahedrons as in the gif image?  Are there any other gif images of this?

Adrian Rossiter

Jul 20, 2017, 12:38:44 PM7/20/17
to antiprism
Hi

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017, Cool Guy wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to confirm what happens when the entire Isotropic Vector
> Matrix Jitterbugs:
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rT3ItD387V0/WW3OSyDczjI/AAAAAAAALJo/1jCAGiveaeodnECDivmIcDJtsYq1Ir-_gCLcBGAs/s1600/www.GIFCreator.me_eJiyBw%2B2%2B.gif>
>
> When the entire Isotropic Vector Matrix Jitterbugs, first the
> Cuboctahedrons all become Octahedrons, and the Octahedrons space all become
> Cuboctahedrons. Is this correct?

Essentially (for the model, I don't know about the IVM). See here

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s04/figs/f7002d.html

Also

https://www.dma.org/collection/artwork/buckminster-fuller/complex-jitterbugs

> The next step in the Isotropic Vector Matrix after the Cuboctahedrons
> becoming Octahedrons and the Octahedrons space becoming Cuboctahedrons, is
> for the Octahedrons to go a step further and become Great Icosahedrons. I
> think the following gif image does not show the overlapping Cuboctahedrons.
> If you pause the gif image after the Cuboctahedrons have become
> Octahedrons, you can imagine a Cuboctahedron in the space where there is
> nothing. As the Octahedrons become Great Icosahedrons, the 12 points of the
> (blank space) Cuboctahedron apparently converge to the center point of this
> (blank) Cuboctahedron, and they then continue and de-converge, becoming
> Octahedrons again, but turned inside out, and finally they become
> Cuboctahedrons again, again, also turned inside out.

I am not exactly sure of the model you are describing. If the
"blank space" cuboctahedra are centred on the original octahedron
centres then the 12 points lie on triangles in sets of three, and
I am not sure how they would convergence to a single point.

In the following animation the whole model contracts to coincide
with a single octahedron

http://www.antiprism.com/album/misc/jit_rlat_reverse.gif

> Are there any other gif images of this?

There are a number of jitterbug GIFs on the Antiprism site

http://www.antiprism.com/album/875_jitterbugs/imagelist.html

There is also the Jitterbug GL program, which includes a
number of variations and allows the transformations to be
viewed from different angles

http://www.antiprism.com/other/jitterbug_gl

Adrian.
--