Fwd: Class I Icosahedron 7V Truncations {3,5+}(7,0)

Gerry in Quebec

Dec 2, 2023, 9:27:33 PM12/2/23
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Roger, Adrian & others,
Here's an item about OFF View that I posted a few minutes ago on the Geodesic Help Group.
- Gerry

From: Gerry in Quebec
Date: Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 9:15:17 PM UTC-5
Subject: Re: Class I Icosahedron 7V Truncations {3,5+}(7,0)
To: Geodesic Help Group <Unknown>

Hi Lev,
I'd love to know how you convert an OFF file into an mp4 movie. Is it easy to do for those of us who don't have much experience with software and IT?

And by the way, Adrian Rossiter's collaborator on Antiprism, Roger Kaufman, has produced a great little OFF file viewer, separate from Antiprism & Antiview. It's all done on line in your browser.

Open the link above and then click on the "Choose files" option in control panel on the right side of the screen. That lets you navigate to an OFF file stored on your device. Just open the OFF file, and "OFF View" displays the polyhedron. It's not as powerful as Antiview, but it allows those who don't use Antiprism/Antiview to nevertheless view and manipulate a dynamic image of the polyhedron on screen very easily (with basic mouse moves).

Hats off to Roger!

- Gerry

Roger Kaufman

Dec 4, 2023, 9:26:09 AM12/4/23
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerry,
Thanks for the kind words, but you are giving me too much credit, lol.

The viewer was written by our group member who goes by Wagyx. Wagyx then
wrote a simple version for me to use from my web pages. In this example
it opens in a windows and then you can choose full screen.

https://www.interocitors.com/polyhedra/offwin.html?url=120s/models/Ivanov_Q5_excavated_by_J92.alternate.off&transparency=0.5

What I wrote a python based command line system to open off and vrml
files in online viewers. The vrml files are displayed by x_ite x3d
viewer for browsers.

https://www.interocitors.com/polyhedra/webview/index.html

The page you referred to is Wagyx's full version which can indeed upload
files directly using the file chooser.

You also mentioned animations. The animations here are done by
generating series of pictures with PovRay. The off files are converted
with off2pov in a loop which will be customized for each particular
animation. Its a rather involved process but can make some very nice
animations.

At some point I'd like to look at the idea of live 3d animations but
that is for another day.

I'm glad you have enjoyed Antiprism!

Roger

Wagyx Xygaw

Dec 4, 2023, 4:00:07 PM12/4/23
to antiprism
Hi  Gerry,

if you want some animation going on, the simple viewer I have made for Roger can have the model rotate automatically by adding come extra parameters to the url, like so:
https://www.interocitors.com/polyhedra/offwin.html?url=120s/models/Ivanov_Q5_excavated_by_J92.alternate.off&transparency=0.5&rotationSpeed=1&rotationDirection=0,1,0

The source code is available on github https://github.com/Wagyx/simple-off-viewer and you can run it locally on your computer using the command "python -m https.server" or the live server of vscode.
The other parameters with default values that can be changed are:
    transparency=0
    edgesActive="true"
    facesActive="true"
    verticesActive="true"
    useBaseColor= "true"
    url:
    backgroundColor="#cccccc"
    vertexRadius=0.03
    edgeRadius=0.02
    rotationDirection=0,1,0
    rotationSpeed=0.0
You can add them to the url with an & as a separator, do not use spaces.
rotationSpeed is the just a number (can be negative) and rotationDirection is the axis of rotation given by three numbers a,b,c
Then I guess you can capture a video of your desktop using vlc or obs.
Wagyx

Gerry in Quebec

Dec 11, 2023, 12:11:18 PM12/11/23
to antiprism
Hi Roger & Wagyx,
Thanks for the clarification on the origin of the viewer, Roger, and for the tips on animation, Wagyx. I use a combo of Excel and Antiprism for polyhedral design work, especially geodesic domes. The online OFF viewer is a useful addition to my little toolkit. Much appreciated.
- Gerry in Québec