hull?

David Rysdam

Jun 4, 2015, 8:23:04 PM6/4/15
to antimo...@googlegroups.com
This isn't strictly a dev question, hope no one minds that.

Is there anything like the openscad hull() operation? I've found it
useful for making organic shapes as well as things like "thick polygons"
with round edges and corners. I see a shell(), but I can't tell what it
does.

Matthew Keeter

Jun 4, 2015, 8:29:54 PM6/4/15
to David Rysdam, antimo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting question. There isn’t anything equivalent at the moment, because
convex hulls fall into the category of “easy to do with b-reps, hard to do with
implicit surfaces”.

If anyone has thoughts (or relevant research literature), I’d be interested in
thinking more about this kind of operator.

-Matt

Karl Zeilhofer

Oct 25, 2018, 6:30:15 PM10/25/18
to antimony-dev
Can you then please tell us, what shell() does?

Thanks, Karl

Matthew Keeter

Oct 26, 2018, 8:23:06 AM10/26/18
to Karl Zeilhofer, antimony-dev
shell() takes a shape, shrinks it, and subtracts that from the original shape.

For example, this will turn a circle into a ring, or a sphere into a hollow sphere.

The shrinking is done by applying an offset to the underlying distance field, so the exact behavior depends on the shape coming in.

Regards,
Matt