Re: help with Antimony?

Matthew Keeter

Jan 13, 2016, 7:48:15 PM1/13/16
to Douglas Pfeiffer, antimony-dev
Hi Doug,

Screws are interesting, and you’re right that there’s not a built-in primitive that handles them.

I created an example with a custom node that should accomplish the task.
It revolves a 2D cross-section around the Y axis with an Y-offset proportional to angle.

This corresponds to the transforms:
X' = sqrt(X**2 + Z**2)    # This does the revolution, same as revolve_y
Y' = Y + atan2(X,Z)/3.14  # This adds an offset proportional to angle

In the screenshot below, the triangle (in blue, on the right) is the cross-section being revolved.
screw.sb
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 7.41.27 PM.png

Christian Brunschen

Jan 14, 2016, 5:27:00 AM1/14/16
to antimony-dev
Would it make sense to have useful constants like π (and possibly some others such as e) available for use in math expressions, rather than having to type 3.141595653.... ?

By default, this node maps a full revolution to ±1 unit; you’ll have to do a little math to figure out scaling for your particular thread size.

The file is attached below; hope that helps!

-Matt

On Jan 12, 2016, at 10:55 PM, Douglas Pfeiffer <xray...@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings, Matt.

I am new into the CAD game, and I’m a physicist, not an artist, so your approach I find greatly interesting. As an experiment, I am trying to create a simple threaded bottle cap (like on a 2L soda bottle, or a large honey bottle, in our case, that was destroyed by gravity). I’ve created the cap without too much difficulty. I am having a really hard time figuring out how to make the threads, though. They obviously do not obey any of the simple CSG formulations due to the pitch. Can you give me some guidance?

Many thanks,
Doug Pfeiffer

Sherif Omran

Oct 16, 2016, 4:38:04 AM10/16/16
to antimony-dev
This is for screw, i am stuck in modeling a multilayer screw (transformer coil), rotation goes in first turn upwards and then downwords and so on.
What is the radius of rotation?

Sherif Omran

Oct 17, 2016, 5:15:27 PM10/17/16
to antimony-dev
i am still new to it, could you please help me.
i need to make n turns, winding up and then winding down with the same wire. conceptually, the winding radius should increase by wire diameter. how can i do it? and how do you do a for loop?