TOC Problem and future enhancements

texasd...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2018, 9:57:44 PM9/17/18
to anthologize-dev
This is a great plugin and with a few minor tweaks I was able to get exactly what I wanted.
I needed something to save my posts as I can no longer maintain the site and it will be deleted.
I do love this plugin and the following points are only for the developers benefit to make this an even more amazing plugin.

I noticed one small bug that effects only those who have more than 1 Table of Contents page (TOC).
I ran a test with a freshly loaded plugin with one page TOC and TOC first item showed page 1.  Added more items to increase TOC and
reprinted.  TOC now showed first item on page 2.     I believe the TOC is adjusted to coincide with print pages.

In my case, I required 14 pages of TOC.   Chapter 1 Item 1 in the TOC showed page 14 when it should have read page 1 and each item
thereafter was off by 14.   The last item on page 14 of the TOC was also off by 14 (697 instead of 683).
I am a total novice to PHP but I jury rigged around this by subtracting 13 when it built the TOC.

     class-anthologize-tcpdf.php  line 165           $ns = $this->formatTOCPageNumber($np - $page - 13)

I realize this is not a real fix as this would need to be changed based on TOC pages, but it worked for me.
Perhaps this could be looked at it in case someone else has more than one TOC page.

I do have a couple more suggestions for future enhancments to this plugin.
1.  A more attractive front cover instead of small font. Perhaps allowing a user selectable cover image and larger print for the title and author.
     Also the sub-title does not appear to be printing on the PDF.
     I think someone has already mentioned that the author is repeated twice if you enter a name in the Author field.
     I jury rigged around this by fudging with fonts and tweaking the module building the front page.
2.  Possibly pick up comments in a future enhancement.  Comments lend depth to the posts in many cases.
     I cut and pasted all comments into the post then deleted the comments.
3.  Pick up Post author and date posted to show on the PDF file.  Without author and date posted you don't know who or
     when it was posted.
4.  I notice images on the PDF have an embedded link to link to a larger image in the Wordpress database which requires Wordpress to be active.
     Since in my particular case the Wordpress database is set to be deleted, you would get "Image not found" error messages when
     reading the PDF and clicking on an image.  I know it wouldn't be for everyone, but possibly a choice for the link to point to a file on
     a hard drive with same name as the image in Wordpress...   You would merely have to FTP the Wordpress uploads down to the
     hard drive and link to those.  This could be a question on the New Project page.   Again, it would only be for those who want to save a site to be deleted.
     I got around this by jury rigging to not place the link.