Help with strange project properties date issue

Terescia Easterly

Aug 29, 2023, 1:32:11 PM8/29/23
to anthemion-jutoh
Hi! I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer for me.

When I start a new project, I fill in the project properties as usual, and I input the current date into the date field for the book.

However, when I go back to check the properties after I've imported my document and saved the project, the date has invariably changed to some random older date.

Does anyone know why this is?

It can't be the date of the odt file I've imported into the project, because it was a new file that I copy/pasted into and saved only one day before I made the latest project. I don't use a template, or anything like that, either. I just start a new project, fill it in, import a file, and save. It really does just seem to be some random date.

I sometimes forget to correct it, so I'd like to know why it's happening so that maybe I can stop it from happening instead. :)

Julian Smart

Aug 29, 2023, 3:19:05 PM8/29/23
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terescia,

Sorry about the date problem - I just created a project and imported an old ODT file, and the date from the ODT file replaced the one I had just entered, so it could be that, although you say the date doesn't correspond to the creation date of the imported file. I did just try creating a new ODT and importing that, and it gave me today's date (imported from the ODT file).

I wonder if you get a consistent date when creating the project and importing the same ODT file.

Regards,

Julian

Terescia Easterly

Aug 29, 2023, 6:45:46 PM8/29/23
to anthemion-jutoh
So I tested this and found that it is a specific date in 2019. I tried a couple of new projects and imported a few different files. Every time it's the same date. It seems to be tied to some global project properties? I don't know how to clear them out. Fields already filled in when I open a new project are: Language, Author, Date (but shows 2023 the first time through), Publisher, Subject, Publisher Site.

The really weird thing is that if I do not import anything, the date doesn't change from whatever I set (ie 2023-08-29) to this other 2019 date. So importing does somehow trigger the date change. It may not be the only trigger, but it is the one I'm seeing.

Here's what happens:
When I have the new project open the first time through the properties:
Date shows "2023" only
I update to 2023-08-29
I finish the import and setup
I check the properties
The date has reverted to this other 2019 date

If you can tell me how to clear out the global defaults that might be enough to get this sorted. :)

Julian Smart

Aug 30, 2023, 5:04:42 AM8/30/23
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terescia,

Thanks for the detailed information. Although there are some global settings that can be applied, they don't include the date. They're in Preferences/Advanced/Metadata defaults.

I'm a bit stumped but if you could send me a sample ODT file, I'll see if I can reproduce it here in case it's an interaction with a particular kind of ODT file and Jutoh import code.

Thanks,

Julian

Terescia Easterly

Sep 9, 2023, 7:21:58 PM9/9/23
to anthemion-jutoh
It's resetting the project date as the creation date of the odt file upon import. I've sent more info privately. :) Sorry for the delayed response!

Julian Smart

Sep 10, 2023, 1:37:53 PM9/10/23
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terescia,

Thanks for the file. As per your description, it was a decision I made for Jutoh to take all the metadata from the ODT import file - in retrospect, perhaps not the best policy to take the creation date as well. It should probably be an option. I'll write a note to myself and look into making the creation date the exception when importing.

Regards,

Julian

Terescia Easterly

Sep 10, 2023, 3:39:55 PM9/10/23
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks! It would be a help to me if you did. My creation dates for my manuscripts are usually far, far removed from my eventual publishing dates. :D I will now hopefully be able to remember to check it each time.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "anthemion-jutoh" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/anthemion-jutoh/05552f51-14ca-43a8-993d-229e8bb2d9e1%40gmail.com.

Terescia Easterly

Sep 17, 2023, 11:01:56 PM9/17/23
to anthemion-jutoh
Just as a quick follow up, I've also found that this date change happens even if I just import a single document into an existing project ("Import Document" from the menu). I had to reset the date after the import of the single document.

Julian Smart

Sep 18, 2023, 5:17:06 AM9/18/23
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terescia,

Many thanks for that furher information - I will look into that aspect too.

Regards,

Julian