Changing location of the Temporary Files folder

Robert Ward

Jan 2, 2024, 2:24:51 PMJan 2
to anthemion-jutoh
I’m having trouble with this folder. I was previously working mainly with Dropbox and "Jutoh Temporary Files" was in Documents. Now I've also got iCloud running and the entire Documents folder is synced by iCloud.

 In Preferences->Folders I’ve changed the Documents location to a newly created folder ~/Offline/Jutoh, which I select using the Browse… option. The “Offline/Jutoh” folder is shown as the new location.

However, I delete the various Jutoh folders in my ~/Documents folder, and when I restart Jutoh, these folders (Jutoh 3 Samples, Jutoh Documents, and Jutoh Temporary Files) are all recreated in Documents, and nothing appears in my new “Offline/Jutoh" folder.

It seems like my changes aren’t sticking and I’m hesitant to start editing for fear of corrupting my files.

Thanks for any advice 🙏
Rob

Julian Smart

Jan 2, 2024, 2:39:22 PMJan 2
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

The custom document folder is only used for creating new projects rather than storing samples and so on. It also won't be used to store temporary files, at present.

To answer my own question, the reason why the /tmp or other system temporary folder isn't used by default is because it can be periodically cleaned out by the system, so isn't really safe for long editing periods, though is used as a fallback if it detects (partly by user specification) that it would be creating temporary files in a cloud folder.

Specifying "~" in the cloud folder pattern in Preferences/Project should be avoided (it won't necessarily be expanded) and a full path should be used instead, if necessary.

It probably would be a good idea if the user could specify a custom folder to create temporary files in. I'll add that to my notes.

Regards,

Julian

Julian Smart

Jan 2, 2024, 2:42:52 PMJan 2
to anthemi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Just after sending the last email I realised there was already a setting to specify the temporary file location (although this will still need to be paired with adding to the cloud folder pattern to tell Jutoh not to use the standard Documents folder and to fall back to the specified temporary folder).

In Preferences/Advanced, you can specify the value of "Temporary folder".

Regards,

Julian

Robert Ward

Jan 3, 2024, 9:08:35 AMJan 3
to anthemion-jutoh
Thanks Julian, that was it -- Truly good ideas seem good the second time around!