Publishing AntConc concordance results to a server

D L

Apr 19, 2020, 2:58:18 PM4/19/20
to AntConc-Discussion
I have been using AntConc in Ubuntu 18.04. I am planning to use AntConc as one tool in a project where the concordance results for any advanced search (by one AntConc researcher) can be posted to a private web site to be used by others in a team who do not have AntConc installed on their desktops.
That is, there is only one AntConc research desktop using AntConc as a "client" posting to a server.
The concordance hyperlinks would point to the text corpus on line.
The recipients might also tag some concordance results and share their analysis and perspectives.
How would you suggest approaching this proposed cooperative team approach?
Is it possible to export concordance results as HTML?

In support of this request, this site I have just been reading ..

https://www.pala.ac.uk/searching-and-concordancing.html

suggests ..

Furthermore, it may be necessary to make the concordance available outside of the program which generates the concordance, so that it can be processed with other tools, or used in teaching, on a website or in a publication. It would therefore be necessary to save the concordance in some portable format, such as HTML.

Laurence Anthony

Apr 20, 2020, 7:02:01 PM4/20/20
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Are you asking how to post AntConc results to a server? Or, are you asking how to setup AntConc to be a client that posts to a server? Or, are you simply asking how to export AntConc results?

In the third case, the output is available via the File save menu, but the results are only available as plain text.

I'm not sure if that helps, but please let me know.

Regards,

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

D L

Apr 22, 2020, 8:21:56 AM4/22/20
to AntConc-Discussion
Professor Anthony

My idea is to export the Concordance results to a server so that the Concordance results can be viewed by remote user(s) in their browser. Remote user(s) will not have AntConc installed.

It is perhaps too much to expect AntConc to act as a client to a server, so I will use an external Python helper script to grab and post the Concordance data to server. The main issue is that the saved content (which I can export) is text. What I need to do is engineer this saved text data to reconstitute the Concordance links to the initial corpus (as seen in the Concordance display inside AntConc). It would help if you point me to the cache or temporary file where the Concordance results are held inside AntConc. I will take it from there to reengineer the links.

TextSTAT-3-beta refers to an "Internet Corpus" and that is my goal but using AntConc with its extended features.

Regards

D L

D L

Jun 2, 2020, 11:06:35 AM6/2/20
to AntConc-Discussion

Picking up the thread of this earlier discussion I am revisiting this idea and exploring how bind AntConc concordance analysis with initially a localhost server so that I can better visualise results in a browser.

I create a corpus, conduct a concordance analysis, and I go to File > Save Output.

Now this dumps the concordance analysis to a text file with line numbers and text lines holding the word token. But what I really want is an html file where each key word is in a hyperlink which, when clicked, goes to the corpus text files. The concordance window in AntConc effectively uses hyperlinks to jump to the source and I hope to recreate this in the saved results. If the output is html I can parse the "Save As" dump so that it can run in a localhost HTML server (and then later a remote server)

While I am on this subject I suggest that the "File > Save As" workflow be reviewed since it is tedious navigating back to the folder when multiple concordance results are saved.  Perhaps ignore hidden folders and have a memory of recent folders used (which can be purged).