Headwords/grouping difficulities in ver. 4.2.0

Rosa Chan

May 31, 2023, 10:43:14 PM5/31/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi Laurence Anthony

I am a college student who needs to use this software for my final coursework. I am now facing a problem with generating a lemma list in AntConc 4.2.0.

I have tagged my txt in TagAnt 3.4.0 with the below setting:
* English (en_core_web_sm-3.4.0)
* word+pos_tag+lemma

The tagged txt is attached if needed: britishvogue_text.txt

I have created the corpus successfully. However, things didn't go smoothly in generating the word list. I have tried several settings, but the outcomes are not as expected.
I have generated the list with the below settings:

(1)
Global settings > tag settings > Type + POS + Headword
Tool settings > word list settings > Type + POS + Headword1.png
Then, there's nothing showing in the POS section and words like "is" and "was" are not grouped together.

(2)
Global settings > tag settings > Type + POS + Headword
Tool settings > word list settings > Headword + [Type] + [POS]
2.png
Then it grouped some of the words together, like "was" and "be". However, "is" doesn't group as well and the headword selection is weird.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with my settings or steps that I have done wrong. I really want to generate a normal lemma list for my coursework.
Looking forwards to your reply.

Thank you so much.
Rosa Chan

britishvogue_text.txt

Laurence Anthony

Aug 19, 2023, 2:25:40 AM8/19/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi,

Sorry for the slow response. I checked your file and noticed that you had tagged it with the vertical format in TagAnt. Instead, choose the default horizontal format and everything should work as expected. Saying that, I should certainly add an ability for AntConc to correctly process vertically formatted POS tagged texts to. I've added  this to my things to do list.

Regards,

Laurence.