App problems

Sunny Zheng

Mar 27, 2023, 5:39:11 AM3/27/23
to AntConc-Discussion
I have encountered a problem. When I use the keyword tool with the BNC wordlist as my reference corpus, the AntConc would crashed. I have also tried to re-downloaded this app and reloaded the corpus, but the problem was still there. While using other materials, the function will be fine and the App did not crash. I have attached that wordlist file below. Thank you!
1BNC_wordlist.csv.zip

Graham Ranger

Apr 4, 2023, 11:55:45 AM4/4/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi everyone,
I'm encountering a similar problem with a French frequency wordlist I would like to use as my reference corpus. The wordlist appears to load correctly, but when I try and generate keywords, the application crashes. Since I launch it from the terminal, I get the error messages which are as follows:

  File "tool_keywordlist/threads/SearcherKeywordList.py", line 129, in start
  File "tool_keywordlist/threads/CreateKeywordList.py", line 57, in start
  File "tool_keywordlist/threads/CreateKeywordList.py", line 165, in add_values_to_keywordlist_table
  File "tool_keywordlist/threads/CreateKeywordList.py", line 266, in create_df
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'int' and 'NoneType'
Abandon (core dumped)

Would this be a problem involving characters specific to French?
Many thanks in advance for any help you can can provide.
Best,
Graham.

Graham Ranger

Apr 5, 2023, 1:00:56 PM4/5/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Update. I've tried to create a wordlist to use a reference corpus from inside AntConc, just to check that my own wordlist is formatted as it should be. I load my corpus, create a wordlist, save as a database, then try and use the wordlist.csv file inside the zipped file as a reference corpus (exported using sqlitebrowser as per the method indicated in the help file)... But AntConc still crashes I'm afraid. I'm running it on Ubuntu 18.04. Could that be the problem?
Again, thanks for any help you might be able to give. I'll test it out on a virtual box, and see if Windows encounters the same problems.
Best,
Graham.

Graham Ranger

Apr 5, 2023, 3:51:16 PM4/5/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Second update: I appear to have the same problems on Windows, with a minimal wordlist file, just for testing purposes, reproduced below. I've tried with and without "de|d" and with tab or comma-separated values. The same file works perfectly in AntConc 3.
Best,
Graham.

type,freq

de|d',5002654

la,2388900

et,1862171

le,1790187

à,1699468

les,1601100

que,1556900

des,1229945

il,1202152

un,1146861

Graham Ranger

Apr 18, 2023, 10:23:55 AM4/18/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Dear Laurence,
I'm sorry to insist, but I was wondering if you have had any thoughts about why I'm unable to load an external frequency list. It loads, but AntConc just crashes when I attempt to generate keywords. I've tried to format it as required in the help file, with different tests and variations (.tsv, .csv, with and without range values, etc.) but to no avail. Would you (or another AntConc user) by any chance have a toy word list of a few dozen words I might experiment with?
It's not critical, insofar as version 3 is still available, but it is a shame not to be able to work properly with my students with the most recent, and more ergonomic, version!
Many thanks for your work.
Best,
Graham.

Laurence Anthony

Apr 24, 2023, 5:01:01 AM4/24/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,

Sorry for the very slow reply.

I tried to create a corpus from a word file on my computer here and ran into the same problem that you did. So, there looks to be a bug. I'll try to fix this ASAP and send you an update when it's done. In the meantime, you might want to go back and try AntConc 4.1.4 or as you say, stay with 3.5.9 until the fix is ready.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Laruence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Graham Ranger

Apr 25, 2023, 9:19:10 AM4/25/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi Laurence,
Many thanks for getting back to me on this. And I'm slightly relieved to know that I wasn't getting things wrong. I look forward to the update, and, as you suggest, I'll go back to a previous version in the meantime.
All best wishes,
Graham.

Laurence Anthony

Aug 31, 2023, 5:18:35 AM8/31/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,

I just wanted to complete this thread with a note that AntConc 4.2.2 is now released that fixes this problem completely.

Laurence.