How to use AntConc on Mac w/o glitches

Randall Monty

Mar 27, 2020, 10:24:18 AM3/27/20
to AntConc-Discussion

Been using AntConc for a few years to work with a data set consisting of text versions of websites of writing centers associated with institutions of higher education in the United States. When using the program and data on a PC, AntConc works perfectly and has been generative for numerous scholarly and administrative projects.

However, when using the software and same text files on my MacBook, as I'm forced to do now because that's my home computer and almost everyone is working from home right now, I'm running into all sorts of problems, rending the program unusable. I can open the program and .txt files. But, in:
  • Regular view, the scroll bar doesn't work, either freezing completely or causing the corpus file names and hits to get all glitchy (see image below).
  • Full screen, the tabs (concordance, concordance plot, file view, etc.) don't work.
  • Program will freeze, leading to the Spinning Rainbow Beachball of Death.
Here are the specs for my computer & software:
MacBook Air: Early 2015
OS: Catalina 10.15.3
AntConc: 3.5.8

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Are these known issues with workarounds? Suggestions for possible user-error and how those might be avoided?

Image of "glitchy" text. There are only eight corpus files in the data set.

Matt French

Jul 19, 2020, 6:54:35 AM7/19/20
to AntConc-Discussion
I have recently started using AntConc on a Macbook Pro, early 2015 with OSX 10.14 and can confirm the scroll bard not working often, particularly when full screen. Dragging the window in slightly will allow the scrollbar to work.

I have had some crashes, but am also dealing with quite a lot of text files (the equivalent of about 16000 newspaper articles, about 15million words).

Matt French

Jul 20, 2020, 2:01:09 AM7/20/20
to AntConc-Discussion
Glitchy line numbering. Note, this doesn't affect output if you save as a text file, but on the screen, I will have many multiples of the same line number or line numbers repeating.
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 14.58.36.png