AntFileConverter converted files not appearing

Laura

Apr 17, 2023, 11:41:50 AM4/17/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hello,

I am trying to convert .doc files into .txt; if I just upload the .doc files, the program shuts down on its own. If I upload a .docx file first and then the .doc files, I see in the program that they have been converted and created, but there is no folder with the .txt files in the one where the .doc files are. Have they actually been created? Where can I find them?

Thanks,
Laura

Laura

Apr 17, 2023, 11:49:36 AM4/17/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Just to follow up, I can see that there is a folder with the .docx file converted, but nothing for the .doc files, so I'm assuming there is a problem with .doc files? Is there any way to fix it?
Thanks again,
Laura

Laurence Anthony

Apr 17, 2023, 9:52:40 PM4/17/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laura,

I saw you asked the question on the Corpora List, too. As .doc files are very old binary files that are difficult to process, my suggestion would be to first convert those to .docx within Microsoft Word. Then, you can use AntFileCoverter to batch convert everything to text. Note that if you are using AntConc, you don't need to convert the docx files to text as it will read the docx files directly.

Can I ask why you are working with doc files? They have not been used even by Microsoft for almost 20 years.

Laurence.

Laura

Apr 18, 2023, 3:52:38 AM4/18/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

thanks a lot for your answer! Yes, I have seen that AntFileConverter works perfectly with .docx and I am using it with the ones I have.
Unfortunately, I also have quite a lot of .doc files because I am working with newspapers, and one of the Italian ones has a website that lets you download articles, but the only options are PDF or .doc. I have no idea why they still use the older version, but since I have to work with them I am trying to find a way to convert them in mass, since doing manually would take way too long.

Thanks again,
Laura

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AntConc-Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/antconc/CAL6Fgv1mF98iztGtAKQpFCRpyoLp%3DzPFui0Y%3DQqOzySWhFuYqw%40mail.gmail.com.

Laurence Anthony

Apr 21, 2023, 12:01:14 AM4/21/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laura,

I see. In this case, it would definitely be better to convert the doc files as PDF file conversion can often be problematic. Note that AntFileConverter can convert all the PDFs to text, if that would help.

Here's a webpage on the doc to docx topic. If you are on a Windows computer, it seems that you might simply be able to select all the files and click "Save as" and choose the docx option.

My guess is that you should be able to find a simple converter on the web. A quick look revealed many different options.

I hope that helps!

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Laura

Apr 26, 2023, 8:42:05 AM4/26/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Yes, I have seen that there is the option for the PDF files, but I know that in general conversions from PDF tend to be less accurate than conversions from docx so I wanted to avoid that.
I don't have the option "Save as" directly from the files, I guess it's a problem with this version of Windows.
However, I have found a programme, MultiDoc Converter, which works well for what I need.
Thank you for your help.

Laura

Laurence Anthony

Apr 26, 2023, 11:31:44 AM4/26/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
That's good to hear!

 I might look to see if I can add a .doc converter to AntFileConverter as I can imagine many people might want this option.

Regards,

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Laura

Apr 27, 2023, 3:32:31 AM4/27/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
I think it could be useful for many people, since they may encounter .doc files as I have.

Best regard,
Laura