Linux version for antconc

Gian Paolo Renello

Dec 30, 2021, 6:23:02 AM12/30/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Dear Laurence,

do you plan to create a linux version of antconc as well? Since I am on an unix like system.

Regards

Gian Paolo Renello

Laurence Anthony

Dec 30, 2021, 6:27:48 AM12/30/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gian,

Yes, absolutely! I'm actually working on it right now

Laurence

Gian Paolo Renello

Dec 30, 2021, 9:50:34 AM12/30/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com
thank you very much for your wonderful job
Gian

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 2:10:10 AM12/31/21
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi Gian,

Just to let you know, the Antconc 4.0.2 version for Linux is now out.  Just expand the tar.gz folder and double click the AntConc.​sh file inside to launch the app. You can get it here:

Regards,
Laurence.

Daniel HENKEL

Dec 31, 2021, 6:39:54 AM12/31/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com, Laurence Anthony

Dear Laurence,

Thanks immensely ! I'd been waiting for the Linux version as well and can't wait to try it out.

Unfortunately, when I click on the .sh file in Lubuntu, nothing happens.  When I try to launch it in the Terminal, the Terminal just opens and shuts immediately.  I'm guessing there must be some dependencies included in Mint but missing from Lubuntu (as with the previous versions of AntConc which required libx11-6:i386, libxss1:i386 and libxft2:i386).

Best wishes for 2022,

Daniel

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 7:19:43 AM12/31/21
to Daniel HENKEL, ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. This is why I released the app as a dev build first.

This is a completely new app with no overlapping code from AntConc 3x. So, so problems are completely new to this build.

This is built for Linux 64 bit. All that's the first thing to check. All dependencies should be included so the problem might be a permissions problem. Do you have write access into the main folder. Maybe check that first.

No errors is also strange. What happens if you run ./AntConc.sh after making the executable runnable?

Laurence

Daniel HENKEL

Dec 31, 2021, 8:09:50 AM12/31/21
to Laurence Anthony, ant...@googlegroups.com

Hello Anthony,

Linux 64 bit: yes (my computer is actually recent, I prefer lightweight Lubuntu simply because if frees up more memory and CPU power for tasks like, well, running statistical analyses on 100m-word corpora)

Permissions: I had already checked permissions on AntConc.sh, this time I recursively made everything in the folder executable, readable and writable by anyone.

Unfortunately the problem persists as before. Clicking on the .sh file has no apparent effect. "Execute in terminal" simply causes the terminal to open and close.

When I open the terminal first and then run "./AntConc.sh" as suggested, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /file/path/AntConc/libglib-2.0.so.0)
[10254] Failed to execute script main

Best,

Daniel

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 8:29:19 AM12/31/21
to Daniel HENKEL, ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

The error you are seeing is the cause of the problem. It seems an important dependency is missing.

All dependencies should be included so this is something that I need to investigate. Linux cross app development is even worse than MacOS, but I hope I can quickly find a solution.

Can you try starting from scratch again leaving the permissions as they were? I want to see if the error is the same.

Laurence

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 8:36:59 AM12/31/21
to Daniel HENKEL, ant...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

One thought is that my Linux build is very new and so your machine doesn't have the latest library. I'll try bullding the app on an older machine to avoid that potential problem.

Laurence

Daniel HENKEL

Dec 31, 2021, 9:07:11 AM12/31/21
to Laurence Anthony, ant...@googlegroups.com

Hi Laurence,

Fresh download, no permissions changes, same problem:

  File "main.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /file/path/AntConc/libglib-2.0.so.0)

[13585] Failed to execute script main

My version of Lubuntu isn't the latest as I only install the LTS versions and was waiting for 22.04 before upgrading.

Best,

Daniel

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 9:10:50 AM12/31/21
to Daniel HENKEL, ant...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I've investigated the problem a bit more and building on an older version of Linux than the user seems to be a necessity to get things working.

So, that's the first thing I need to do.

Laurence

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 8:31:39 PM12/31/21
to Daniel HENKEL, ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel and all,

I've now uploaded a new Linux version of AntConc built on an older machine. This should hopefully address the "GLIBC_2.28 not found" error you were experiencing. Of course, there might be other issues, too. Unfortunately, I'm away from work this week because of the New Year, so I can't test the build on multiple different machines as I normally could.

You can get it at the same URL:

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Daniel HENKEL

Jan 1, 2022, 6:16:02 AM1/1/22
to Laurence Anthony, ant...@googlegroups.com

Dear Laurence,

It works! Thanks immensely and Happy New Year!

I'll send some further feedback once I've had a chance to try it out more thoroughly.  One quick question, about tags, not Linux: many of my corpora are tagged for POS and Lemma, sometimes with _ and sometimes with / (i.e Token_POS_lemma or Token/POS/lemma).  In past versions of AntConc, I could manually set the tag marker.  Which one is expected in AC402?

Best,

Daniel

Laurence Anthony

Jan 1, 2022, 6:47:24 AM1/1/22
to Daniel HENKEL, ant...@googlegroups.com
That's great to hear. I'm really happy. Once I hear back from a few other people on Linux, I'll release this version as the official version.

As for your question, when you build your corpus, just choose the word-pos indexer. It will handle all the tags allowing you to search from them later. You'll need to use an underscore for this to work

The syntax roughly matches the simple query language of CQPweb.

Laurence.