Antconc crashes

Giulia Carlino

Apr 9, 2023, 11:02:44 AM4/9/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hello, everyone.
I am writing in regards to a problem with Antconc's Windows desktop application (version 4.2). When I use the Collocate function on my database (2.95 Gb), the application crashes. I have tried reducing the database, using only a small portion of it, and it works. Could it be that the application does not support this amount of data? What strikes me, however, is that initially it did not give me any problems even when using the entire database. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application and it does not work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kind regards
Giulia Carlino

Roger Gee

Apr 14, 2023, 4:58:23 AM4/14/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
I was using all of COCA - over 4 gig - and I thought AntConc had crashed as it was unresponsive, but I just waited, and all was good.  Try patience and see if that helps!

Holy Family University
Roger Gee, PhD
Professor   |   School of Education
Director, Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership Program
267-341-3575  office

ETC 435
9801 Frankford Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19114-2009

Laurence Anthony

Apr 14, 2023, 5:08:04 AM4/14/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your feedback Roger.

Giulia,

If you say that the program did not give you any problems at first, it sounds like you might have broken the internal database in some way (or perhaps changed the settings and caused things to not work). I would suggest you make a backup of your corpora (via the corpus manager), uninstall the program, and then reinstall it and see if that fixes things. The corpus does sound quite large, but AntConc should be able to cope. The collocate function is pretty slow, though. Perhaps try with a smaller corpus first and see if everything is fine. If it is, there might be a problem with the corpus itself.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Muhammad Umar

Apr 14, 2023, 2:27:53 PM4/14/23
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hello to everyone, hopefully you will be fine. I want to ask some questions about corpus based studies. I want to analyse Tense in newsheadlines , Dear, my simple questions are which things can be researched using a corpus tool. Which words I can research and what should I do by using a corpus tool like antconc. At the end , how I can analyse tense in newsheadlines by using a corpus tool. THANKFUL TO EVERYONE.😍😍😍

Laurence Anthony

Aug 19, 2023, 2:36:00 AM8/19/23
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply. As you question is quite general, I would suggest that you start by reading a general book on corpus methods, and then perhaps read the AntConc help guide (via the help menu) and watch the AntConc YouTube video tutorial I produce.

Once you have created a tagged corpus and know the basic functions of AntConc, you should be able to do everything that you want.

I hope that helps.

Laurence.