User guide

jenjma...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2011, 10:25:13 AM4/13/11
to AntConc-discussion
Hi,
I am trying to make a key word list from primary reading texts for a
programme that I teach on. I am a complete beginner to using
concordance software and corpus linguistics. Is there a user manual I
could download or a simple beginner's guide?

Many thanks,
Jennifer

Laurence Anthony

Apr 13, 2011, 11:31:42 AM4/13/11
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jennifer,

This is a common question. The best place to start is with the AntConc
readme file. This lists all its features, and has a mini step-by-step
guide for each tool.

The next place is the AntConc
homepage:http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/antconc_index.html
This has a help guide, and some nice tutorials (but they are in
non-English right now).

If you do a web search for "AntConc" or "AntConc tutorial", you'll
start finding people have uploaded tutorials with nice screenshots.
Here is a quick list:
http://www.ems.ucsb.edu/people/rightmire/ling2/antconc.html
http://ell.phil.tu-chemnitz.de/analysis/antConc.html
http://www.tufs.ac.jp/ts/personal/corpuskun/ma/AntConc-01b.pdf

There are also a few YouTube videos around, including one that I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9wwX7eR-Y

I hope that helps!
Laurence.

jenjma...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2011, 12:23:41 PM4/13/11
to AntConc-discussion
Thank you ever so much for your help! I look forward to using your
fantastic software. Also, thank you for making it available for
anyone to use.
Best regards,
Jennifer

On Apr 13, 4:31 pm, Laurence Anthony <anthony0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jennifer,
>
> > I am trying to make a key word list from primary reading texts for a
> > programme that I teach on.  I am a complete beginner to using
> > concordance software and corpus linguistics.  Is there a user manual I
> > could download or a simple beginner's guide?
>
> This is a common question. The best place to start is with the AntConc
> readme file. This lists all its features, and has a mini step-by-step
> guide for each tool.
>
> The next place is the AntConc
> homepage:http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/antconc_index.html
> This has a help guide, and some nice tutorials (but they are in
> non-English right now).
>
> If you do a web search for "AntConc" or "AntConc tutorial", you'll
> start finding people have uploaded tutorials with nice screenshots.
> Here is a quick list:http://www.ems.ucsb.edu/people/rightmire/ling2/antconc.htmlhttp://ell.phil.tu-chemnitz.de/analysis/antConc.htmlhttp://www.tufs.ac.jp/ts/personal/corpuskun/ma/AntConc-01b.pdf

Jennifer Marshall

Mar 2, 2021, 12:30:59 PM3/2/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurence,
I am currently doing major amendments to my doctoral thesis and really struggling with the technology. For part of my study,  I have created a corpus of UG student writing.  I am interested in seeing if there is a correlation between % academic words used in their essays and their marks.  I wanted to use AntWordProfiler to determine the lexical sophistication/diversity of their writing as well.  I decided to use the AVL (Gardner & Davies, 2014) instead of the AWL due to two main reasons.  The AVL is more up to date, including more contemporary English and it uses lemmas instead of word families.  The corpus on which it is based uses texts from education (my subject area) while the AWL does not.  I have also decided to use the new-GSL (Brezina & Gablasova, 2015) as again, it is more up to date but also uses lemmas.
So to that end, I tried to convert those lists into a plain text list to upload instead of using the default lists.  However, it is not working.  Can you help me?  What am I doing wrong?
I really appreciate any guidance.  I am a language teacher so have found all the stats and corpus technology so difficult as it is not intuitive for me.  I had to have my brother convert my corpus word documents for me into text!
I look forward to your reply,
Jen Marshall
(Senior Lecturer at the University of Derby -  J.Mar...@derby.ac.uk