Align tool

Ana Lúcia Kfouri

Jun 11, 2024, 1:25:11 AMJun 11
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi, professor, Lawrence,

I'd like to know how I can access and use the tool "align", so that I can have both books I've been studying. What I mean is I'd like to have them both, the original book in Brazilian Portuguese and its translation into English, side by side, paragraph by paragraph.

Is it possible?

Thank you so much.
--
Ana Lúcia da Silva Kfouri
Tradutora literária e jurídica
Sócia proprietária da Exact Traduções e Serviços Técnicos Ltda. ME (Prestadora de serviços)
Professora de inglês - Centro Paula Souza (FATEC - Praia Grande e Santos)
Doutoranda em Letras - Estudos da Tradução na Universidade de São Paulo (FFLCH - USP)
Mestra em Letras - Estudos da Tradução na Universidade de São Paulo (FFLCH - USP)
Membro do grupo de estudos do CNPq - Corpus Multilíngue para Ensino e Tradução da Universidade de São Paulo, coordenado pela Profa. Dra. Stella Tagnin
Membro do Grupo de Estudos de Adaptação e Tradução (GREAT) da FFLCH - USP
Especialização em Tradução Literária (Casa Guilherme de Almeida)
Especialização (Lato Sensu) em Docência no Ensino Superior (SENAC)
Graduação em Letras, Tradução e Interpretação (UNIBERO)
DELTA - Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (The University of Cambridge)
COTE - Certificate for Overseas Teachers of English (The University of Cambridge)
CPE - Certificate of Proficiency in English (The University of Cambridge)
Whatsapp: (11) 9 9685 8384
Skype: analukfouri

Laurence Anthony

Jun 11, 2024, 1:26:41 AMJun 11
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not sure what tool you are referring to, but AntConc does not have an align too right now.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Ana Lúcia Kfouri

Jun 15, 2024, 2:38:53 AMJun 15
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First of all, sorry for the
a. delay in replying, and
b. the typo in LaWrence

And that explains everything! Now I need to have both works of literature I'm working with side by side because I need to investigate the extent to which and whether the author of the translated book has followed, respected the style, lexical choice and so on of the original author. For that, I was told to use the align tool or aligner (I don't know what exactly people called it). So there I went and searched on the software, read the guidelines and this tool was nowhere to be found!

It's because it doesn't exist.. yet!

Thank you very much for your help. And sorry to have bothered you with such a silly question.

Cheers.
Ana L.

Kristina

Jun 15, 2024, 7:02:53 AMJun 15
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi Ana,

I use this aligner in my translation classes, it is very simple, you input your two texts, check the settings and you get an excel file with the two texts side by side, sentence by sentence:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

I apologise for pointing to other tools within this thread, I guess it’s not good manners, but I hope it helps.

Kristina Hmeljak Sangawa