Hiding tags other than POS in AntConc 4.0.3

Lisa Lehnen

Feb 10, 2022, 6:05:03 AM2/10/22
to AntConc-Discussion
In my corpus, speakers, headers, etc. are tagged because I do not want them to be included in any of the analyses. In earlier vesions, tags (and their symbols) could be specified and hidden in the global settings. This seems to have changed now and the only option I found was to hide embedded POS tags. Is there a way in which tags and the text in-between, such as <h> ... </h>, can be hidden in AntConc 4.0.3?

Thanks!

Laurence Anthony

Feb 10, 2022, 6:44:35 AM2/10/22
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,

This is a great question. Unfortunately, right now, there isn't an easy way to do this in AntConc 4. It's mainly because the original method of ignoring text using tags was a bit of a hack. With AntConc 4, I want to adopt a more rigorous universal approach via the indexer system that also (possibly) allows the tagged data to be searched. This feature was a little bit lower on my list of things to do, and I wanted to get the software out into the world, so it's not in the system yet. For now, can you stay with AntConc 3?

Regarding this feature, I have a question for you. What tag system are you using to flag such text. Is it simply <TAGNAME>... <TAGNAME>? Or are you using a more complex system?

I'm now back to updating AntConc after finishing a lot of admin work, and I just released 4.0.4 today. So, this is something I can look at from now.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 at 20:05, 'Lisa Lehnen' via AntConc-Discussion <ant...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
In my corpus, speakers, headers, etc. are tagged because I do not want them to be included in any of the analyses. In earlier vesions, tags (and their symbols) could be specified and hidden in the global settings. This seems to have changed now and the only option I found was to hide embedded POS tags. Is there a way in which tags and the text in-between, such as <h> ... </h>, can be hidden in AntConc 4.0.3?

Thanks!

Lisa Lehnen

Feb 10, 2022, 6:56:58 AM2/10/22
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi Laurence,

Thank you very much for the response. It's completely understandable, of course, that this was a non-prioritised feature. I will simply stick with AntConc 3 for now and look out for any updates in this regard.

Yes, the way "extra-corpus text" is marked in my corpus is <TAGNAME> ... </TAGNAME>.

Lisa

Lou Burnard

Feb 10, 2022, 6:57:53 AM2/10/22
to ant...@googlegroups.com
What would be really nice would be for antConc to get a bit more xml-savvy. Surely it's better to support a known markup standard which has been in use for decades than to try to support any arbitrary sort of mixed up tagging? The syntax of XML is really not so hard!