XML Tagging with AntConc on OS X? (Bonus TagAnt Question)

RACHEL MCCULLOUGH

Jun 8, 2020, 8:39:46 PM6/8/20
to AntConc-Discussion
Hi! I have a few questions. I'm in a corpus linguistics class at the moment, and am building a Ladino language corpus. For those unfamiliar, Ladino is a Jewish language that is very close to Spanish, but with a different orthography (I'm using the Roman Script Aki Yerushalayim transcription style rather than any Hebrew block script or other orthographies to avoid making my life more complicated than I already have here).

I'm interested in using XML to tag my texts for language of origin, and was wondering if there's a way to use an XML-tagged text with AntConc? If not, is there a tagging system any of you know of that can allow me to assign multiple features to one word? We were planning to use TagAnt  (more on that later), but TagAnt seems to assign tags in a different format, so I'm wondering if I can use an alternate tagger and still run it through AntConc.

In addition, asking for a friend who's working on English-language data, is there a reliable way to encode features on a string of tokens, rather than a single word?

My bonus TagAnt question: I'm running on a Mac (Catalina), and every text I try to process takes a long time to tag, whether it's loaded or copy/pasted into the software, and I tried in both English and Spanish (in an attempt to tag some of the Ladino). When I do get a document saved to my computer that's noted to be "tagged," I open it, and it's blank. There is no original text, and there are no tags. I have one other classmate who was having the same issue who is also running a Mac, but one who is not, and she confirmed to me that she is not running Catalina. I was wondering if TagAnt is not optimized for Catalina, or if there's something else I may be doing wrong.

Thank you to whoever reads through this and responds!