Inquiry about AntConc error

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 12:25:38 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

When I use antconc to generate lists and keyword lists I encountered with this error many times and I have to close the program. Can you guide me what is happening this? Am I doing something wrong or is there an other issue of crashing the Tool?
Thanks in advance.

Nadia

Laurence Anthony

Jun 3, 2024, 12:33:03 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Can you explain what "this error" is?

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 12:54:28 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
IMG_20240603_091918.jpg

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 1:01:02 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
The other one.
IMG_20240603_095952.jpg

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 1:04:52 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Both time i uploaded 40 male data files and run wordlist command. This error occurred first time. Second error "Learners, teachers... "  occured many times.

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 1:16:03 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
I am using it on widows and i have searched all of your answers on antconc group using word "crashed". You have mentioned the reasons.
 I can reinstall it if it can be fixed. I am using Windows 10 and it is happening from yesterday.

Laurence Anthony

Jun 3, 2024, 1:18:25 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that your files are not encoded corrected in utf-8. You also seem to be using a tagged corpus, but not loading it correctly via the Corpus Manager.

I suggest you start by doing something very, very simple.

Create a single file with the contents "The cat sat on the mat." Then learn how to use the different AntConc tools with this file. Once you have mastered the software, then I suggest you start analyzing your own corpus.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 2:19:45 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com

N AG

Jun 3, 2024, 4:13:42 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
I have seen your thread in antconc group regarding hide and show POS tagging. Actually It is not prominent in the antconc thatvs why people easily missed it. I think it's setting should be placed In global setting instead of that place where it is now.
I uploaded my data by reading antconc conc This time and now I have am not facing any problem up till now. ☺️

Thanks & Regards

Laurence Anthony

Jun 3, 2024, 4:50:37 AMJun 3
to ant...@googlegroups.com
That's good to hear.

The display view setting is also in the global settings.

Regards,

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

N AG

Jun 4, 2024, 12:38:58 PMJun 4
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

I have rechecked this error by tagging my files with tag ant and Claws7 tagger. When i tap to open full stop (you can see it in 2nd place in wordlist) the message appear no hits. It is OK I do not need to see full stops. But in 3rd place I have ? And this is something strange. I have seen it in tag ant wordlist at 17 Row. Both taggers have Not such tag. When i opened there is mix up of tags in? Type like comma, quotation mark, exclamation and even I pronoun. When i opened my tagged files the tags are correct as the tag keys provided by ant tagger and claws 7.something happens In antconc when i generate the wordlist.

Can I send you my tagged files and you can check why it is happening like that or may be i have some irregularities in my files. Often in group, you say to send you the same files so you can run them in antconc to understand the issue.
With TAG ant i noticed more wrong tags Or tags were not opening. But in claws taggs only This 3rd row is strange. Can I remove it from my antconc results?

IMG_20240604_212850.jpg

N AG

Jun 4, 2024, 2:22:57 PMJun 4
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,
One thing more I want to bring into your notice.
When i opened my files the tags were right in original files before opening in antconc but in antconc, it also changed their class. Like if they were pronoun they showed like JJ or ADJ tag.

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024, 11:15 PM N AG, <nadia....@gmail.com> wrote:
Respected sir,

I think the issue is not with both taggers' tagging. Both are showing the consistency with this issue. In my files tagging is accurate i have matched. But I never saw like this earlier  different POS  under One TAG while tht TAG does not exist in taggers and it is visible in "?" sign.

Laurence Anthony

Jun 5, 2024, 3:48:49 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The *type* in row three is a ? (not the tag). I think you are getting confused about what information you are looking at. Look at the column headers to understand the meaning of the information. Also, your computer can take high quality screenshots. You don't need to use your phone to take distorted low quality images.

When searching, some characters serve as wildcards, e.g. '?', so to search for that word, you need to escape it, as follows:
\?

I hope that helps.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

N AG

Jun 5, 2024, 4:57:57 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

I did not type any specific word in my search bar. I just click the word option to get wordlists and in female it is appearing on 3rd position while in male data set it is appearing on 17th position.
How I can justify this symbol? At this point I did not use any wildcard.
When i tapped on ?  It has commas, colons, question mark, full stop And I pronoun.  I also checked that example with comma was not in commas category. Why it is not identifying that comma with commas' examples And keeping It in a seperate place?

What are you saying sir? That this is not an error? But I did not use any wildcard feature. I can continue my work with this strange thing?

Accept my apology sir, next time I will care about clear screenshot.
Thanks.

Laurence Anthony

Jun 5, 2024, 5:02:20 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Please read my explanation again. I don't say that you typed a wildcard.

If you want to search for "?", type:
\?

If you click on "?" in the word list tool and don't get any results in the KWIC took, correct the KWIC search entry to be:
/?

Your data certainly contains examples of question marks. This is why you are seeing them in the results.

N AG

Jun 5, 2024, 5:04:27 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

Sir is this any error or is it normal? I did not performed any specific command or search. I just opened my data and selected word and then tap on start. I can ignore this If it does not appear in my keywords lists also. Because I do not know how I will answer about these different punctuation marks AMD pronouns under One category.

Or sir if I can exclude the ? From my data results Which is showing on 3rd position kindly tell me how I can delete this row.
You have mentioned that we can select specific rows if Do not want to copy all.

Many thanks.

N AG

Jun 5, 2024, 5:06:38 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

Indeed I have question marks in my data sets. But sir then why I have mixture of things instead of just question mark?
Is it OK? Kindly tell me in simple words. I really could not understand thatvs why you have to explain it again. Sorry for my poor understanding.

N AG

Jun 5, 2024, 5:16:33 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

Thanks for your reply. I think it is not an error and if I have to see some specific symbols then this one has all of that and I can see them in it. But sir how can I justify the presence of commas and pronoun "I" in it?

Laurence Anthony

Jun 5, 2024, 5:28:54 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nadia,

I can see that you are very passionate about corpus linguistics, which is great to see. But, can I ask that you stop sending multiple posts to this discussion group as things come to your mind. Please think about your issue carefully, investigate the various possibilities on your own, and when you cannot find a solution, only then post a single question to the list. After posting a question, wait for a response. Don't keep posting the same question many, many times. And, when you get a reply, don't immediately reply back if you cannot understand it. Again, go away, think about it, try things out, and only then, past a reply to follow up.

I should note that many of your questions are not clearly stated, and contain numerous typos and grammatical errors. I understand that English is not your first language, but please try to check your English (e.g. using an online translation service), before posting your questions to make them clearer.

Finally, in view of the huge number of messages that you are posting, I would like to ask that you limit your posts to *a maximum of one post per day* for a while. This may be a good motivation for you to think carefully about your posts before sending them.

I hope you can understand.

Laurence.

N AG

Jun 5, 2024, 5:39:30 AMJun 5
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

Kindly accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. In future, I will keep all these things in mind. Thank you so much for your patience and politeness😁.
Many thanks.

Nadia.