Expanding Search Window Size Issues (v 3.5.9)

Mohammadreza Barati

Dec 30, 2021, 3:21:59 PM12/30/21
to AntConc-Discussion
Hello Dr. Anthony,

I hope you're well and enjoying your holidays.

I have a going through a corpus of MPs speeches and looking for it-clefts within it. I have run into an issue with the old version (3.5.9). I have attached my corpus to this message. and here is my query:
"\b[Ii]t\s+(is|was)(\s*n[o\']t)?(\s+\b(?!(clear|essential|found|going|gonna|hoped|important|inevitable|interesting|like|made|necessary|obvious|possible|said|something|suggested|worth))\w*\b)(\s+\w+){0,7}\s*(that|which)\s+\w+\b"

I get 684 hits, but as you can see in my screenshot of the Concordance window, I don't get much context, even though that I have set the search window to 5,000 characters. my 10th hit doesn't have any words as context, even though the File View reveals a lot of words that can be included.

I ran this query on several different systems with different OS and got the same results. When I checked the website, I found a new updated version. I downloaded and ran the same query on the same corpus, but to my surprise, the new version (4.0.2) does not return any hits. I honestly don't know what is happening and how I can get this sorted. Can you please help?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Moe
++.zip
File View.jpeg
Concordance.jpeg

Mohammadreza Barati

Dec 31, 2021, 6:15:23 AM12/31/21
to AntConc-Discussion
Can anyone help me with this? I'm working against a deadline and I need to fix this issue.

Thank you all.

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 7:27:24 AM12/31/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Have you opened the original file in a good text editor such as Notepad++.

My guess is that it contains a weird line break at that point.

What don't you narrow the corpus down to just this file and see what is happening?

Laurence

Mohammadreza Barati

Dec 31, 2021, 7:58:16 AM12/31/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your response.

I checked on Notepad++ and there is no line break, or anything for that matter, that would stop the line from being read correctly. However, when I ran the search on that one file, it worked perfectly. I think there might be a solution. I'll give it a try, and let you know if I run into any issues.

Thank you very much once again, and happy New Year.
Moe

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AntConc-Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/antconc/CAL6Fgv1GNzqQ0DTF2TojqR9cCcoGcosvWrpXQoRHC328L0AdDA%40mail.gmail.com.

Laurence Anthony

Dec 31, 2021, 8:02:31 AM12/31/21
to ant...@googlegroups.com