AQMS Jiggle requires GTYPE schema: non-GTYPE Jiggle will be deprecated at end of 2019

Yoon, Clara

Jun 27, 2019, 6:22:15 PM6/27/19
to anss...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

My name is Clara and I would like to introduce myself as the new Jiggle software developer in the USGS Pasadena office.

I am sending this email to inform all Jiggle users that we are only supporting the GTYPE schema going forward.  The non-GTYPE version of Jiggle will be deprecated by the end of this year, at the recommendation of the NIC.

I was informed that there are 3 RSNs where the non-GTYPE version of Jiggle is still being used:
1. AVO
2. Lamont (LCSN)
3. Utah

The GTYPE schema version of Jiggle can be downloaded here for now:
Please download the versions of jiggle.jar with the link stating "for GTYPE enabled schema only".

The old non-GTYPE schema had separate event types (ETYPE) for earthquakes: 'le' = local earthquake, 're' = regional earthquake, and 'ts' = teleseismic earthquake.  For the new GTYPE schema, the event type (ETYPE) for an earthquake is 'eq', with 3 possible geographic types (GTYPE): 'L' = local, 'R' = regional, 'T' = teleseismic.

Future updates to the Jiggle software will be released only with the GTYPE enabled schema.  The new Postgres version of AQMS only supports the GTYPE schema as well.

I encourage any Jiggle users who are using the non-GTYPE version to start their migration to the GTYPE version of Jiggle.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Clara

Clara Yoon, Ph.D.
Supervisory Geophysicist | Software Developer
U.S. Geological Survey, Pasadena Field Office
525 S. Wilson Ave. | Pasadena, CA 91106
Office: 626-583-6793 | Mobile: 626-658-0229

Macbeth, Harold

Jun 27, 2019, 7:58:59 PM6/27/19
to anss...@googlegroups.com
I think the Induced Seismicty group up here in Menlo Park is using the non-gtype Jiggle.
Hal Macbeth

Hal Macbeth
U.S.Geological Survey
Earthquake Science Center
Earthquake Monitoring Project                      Office: 650-329-4705
Northern California Seismic Network              FAX: 650-329-4732
345 Middlefield Road MS-977                       Pager: 415-807-4585
Menlo Park, California 94025                email: mac...@usgs.gov
Earthquake & related info on the web:   http://quake.usgs.gov

Mitch Withers

Jun 28, 2019, 9:46:23 AM6/28/19
to anss-aqms

For what it's worth,  attached are the notes I used when we made the switch in Memphis.  I couldn't quickly find the referenced notes and scripts from Ellen on the AQMS wiki though I have my own local copy of them if anyone wants them (caveat emptor).

plan.txt

Renate Hartog

Jun 28, 2019, 10:09:26 AM6/28/19
to anss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for those notes Mitch! We are using the gtype schema, but I just saw something useful for us that I didn't know:

9. Add these to the jiggle.props
defaultTriggerEventType=earthquake
defaultTriggerGType=local

This has been driving me a bit nuts (st still going to le rather than eq by default) but still on my  "a nuisance but not critical so not being dealt with" list. There is a property setting, yay!

Renate

Mitch Withers

Jun 28, 2019, 12:49:41 PM6/28/19
to anss-aqms

My version of jiggle also has property settings for turning the water on and off in the kitchen sink.  Now if I could just find the one that opens the drain...