Gtype Schema Update Problem

Bill Blycker

Feb 20, 2020, 10:01:33 AM2/20/20
to AQMS
Hi AQMS Users,

     We updated to the Gtype schema last fall on our test system, and
fixed all of the resulting problems except for one.  The remaining
problem is not a show stopper, but will be annoying for the analysts
unless we can solve it before we change the schema on our production
system.

     The problem appears when we save events in Jiggle (version
2017.06.27) that have been designated as local quarry blasts. Even
though the event type is already set to "quarry," Jiggle generates a
popup message "EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!......" when we try to save it.
Jiggle does not do that on our production system that still has the
old database schema.  The only clue to the problem that we can find
is that when the blast warning pops up, the following line appears in
the debugging output in the Jiggle terminal window:

SELECT p.lat,p.lon,p.z,p.name,p.state FROM GAZETTEERPT p WHERE p.TYPE=? typeId: 30

This line does not appear in the Jiggle debugging output on our
production machines when we save events as quarry blasts.  It appears
that Jiggle on the test machine doesn't realize that the blast check
is unnecessary and does it anyways.  Setting disableQuarryCheck=true
instead of false does not stop these extraneous warnings.

     Does anyone else with the Gtype schema have this problem?  If not,
does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing it?

Bill Blycker and Jim Pechmann
University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Yoon, Clara E

Feb 20, 2020, 1:55:43 PM2/20/20
to anss...@googlegroups.com, bly...@seis.utah.edu

Hi Bill,

I have found that the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup message disappears when you set the following Jiggle property:

eventTypeCheckDisabled=true;

(This can also be done within Jiggle: Properties -> Edit properties… -> “DB Save” -> check the box next to “Disable event type region check” – this name is misleading)

According to https://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/jiggle/JiggleProperties.html: “If true, disable event type checking for quarries on commit

Usually (if eventTypeCheckDisabled=false), upon clicking “save” or “finalize”, Jiggle will check if the event might be a quarry blast – if it is close enough to a known quarry / happens during the daytime.  This property is all or nothing; right now it’s not smart enough to do the check only when the event type is not already set as “quarry”.

If you set “disableQuarryCheck=true” in the Jiggle properties, that does something different.  If the user selects the event type as “quarry” for an event that does not pass the quarry checks (e.g. it’s too far away from a known quarry, and it’s really an earthquake), a box will usually pop up warning the user with “Solution fails known quarry criteria test”; setting “disableQuarryCheck=true” will remove this popup warning.

(This can also be done within Jiggle: Properties -> Edit properties… -> “QC Checks” -> check the box next to “Disable event quarry check”)

According to https://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/jiggle/JiggleProperties.html: “Disable check/popup for closest quarry location when user changes event type to quarry

Please let me know if you have further questions, or if this explanation doesn’t solve your problem.

Thank you for upgrading to the GTYPE schema.

Best,

Clara

--

Clara Yoon, Ph.D.

Supervisory Geophysicist, Software Developer | Southern California Seismic Network

U.S. Geological Survey, Earthquake Science Center, Pasadena Field Office

525 S. Wilson Ave. | Pasadena, CA 91106

Office: 626-583-6793 | Mobile: 626-658-0229

Email: cy...@usgs.gov | cy...@caltech.edu

Web: https://www.usgs.gov/staff-profiles/clara-yoon

James C. Pechmann

Feb 21, 2020, 1:22:20 PM2/21/20
to anss...@googlegroups.com, pech...@seis.utah.edu
Hi Clara,

     Thank you for the very clear and detailed description of the
relevant Jiggle properties.  Setting eventtypeCheckDisabled=true does
indeed stop the extraneous "EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!..." warnings when we
save an event with event type "quarry."  The disadvantage is that it
also prevents the "EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!..." warning when we save an
event as an earthquake that is near a known quarry or other blasting
site.  These warnings are very useful for our analysts and duty
seismologists, especially the less experienced ones.  So we would
rather put up with the unnecessary blast warnings than turn them off
completely.

     The information that you provided is nevertheless very helpful
because now we know that the problem is with the Jiggle code and not
with the way that we implemented the Gtype schema change.  So now we
can go ahead and do the schema change on our production system with
more confidence.

     You wrote that Jiggle was not smart enough to only do the quarry
blast check when the event type was not already set as "quarry."  But
before the Gtype schema change, Jiggle WAS smart enough to do that.
Perhaps this part of the Jiggle code was not updated to account for
the schema change.  We would appreciate it if you could fix this
little bug in the next release of Jiggle.  Thanks for your help.

Jim Pechmann and Bill Blycker

University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Yoon, Clara E

Feb 24, 2020, 3:53:33 PM2/24/20
to anss...@googlegroups.com, pech...@seis.utah.edu, bly...@seis.utah.edu

Hi Jim and Bill,

Ok, this is a bug in Jiggle that I will need to fix in an upcoming release.  I have added it to the existing list of Jiggle bugs and feature requests (row 80):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Dy-z6UsxV_zUP_nky9Wt2lfE7ffTQz1s6qCCc9wQGF8/edit?usp=sharing

To summarize the desired behavior for quarry blasts after the fix:

  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=false” and event type is not “quarry”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should appear (as it currently does now).
  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=false” and event type is already set to “quarry”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should not appear because it is unnecessary.  (This capability needs to be added to Jiggle.)
  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=true”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should not appear at all (as it currently does now).

Best,

Clara

James C. Pechmann

Feb 25, 2020, 7:13:56 PM2/25/20
to Yoon, Clara E, anss...@googlegroups.com, pech...@seis.utah.edu, bly...@seis.utah.edu
Hi Clara,

     Thanks for adding this item to your Jiggle bug list.  I think that
your summary is correct with the exception of the last bullet.  You and I
both found that setting eventTypeCheckDisabled=true prevents the "EVENT
MAY BE A BLAST" popups from appearing when saving an event with event type
quarry (or earthquake).

     In my original email on this topic I mentioned that setting
disableQuarryCheck to true instead of false did not stop the unnecessary
"EVENT MAY BE A BLAST" warnings when saving an event of type quarry.  But
as you explained in your Feb. 20 email,
it is the eventTypeCheckDisabled
property
that controls the check for nearby quarries when saving an event.
The disableQuarryCheck property controls the check for nearby quarries
when the user changes the event type to quarry.  I just did a bit of
testing and, as far as I can tell, the disableQuarryCheck property is
working as advertised.

--Jim

Yoon, Clara E

Feb 27, 2020, 8:19:37 PM2/27/20
to pech...@seis.utah.edu, anss...@googlegroups.com, bly...@seis.utah.edu

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your feedback on the disableQuarryCheck property.

Regarding your comment

>> I think that your summary is correct with the exception of the last bullet.

How should I modify the last bullet so that my summary is correct?  I don’t understand…

Perhaps like this (see changes in red-bold-italic)?

  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=false” and event type is not “quarry”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should appear upon saving or finalizing the event (as it currently does now).
  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=false” and event type is already set to “quarry”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should not appear upon saving or finalizing the event because it is unnecessary.  (This capability needs to be added to Jiggle.)
  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=true”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should not appear at all (regardless of event type) upon saving or finalizing the event (as it currently does now).

James C. Pechmann

Feb 28, 2020, 6:39:00 PM2/28/20
to Yoon, Clara E, anss...@googlegroups.com, pech...@seis.utah.edu, bly...@seis.utah.edu
Hi Clara,

     When I read your third bullet, especially the original version, I
interpret the phrase "(as it currently does now)" to mean that the popup
message currently DOES appear even when "eventTypeCheckDisabled=true."
But at this point I'm pretty sure that this is not what you mean to say,
and that the issue is simply ambiguous wording.  If you change "(as it
currently does now)" at the end of the third bullet to "(which is what
happens currently with Jiggle v2017.06.27)," then I think that this
bullet will be clearer.

     The other revisions that you made are helpful.  I'm sorry for the
confusion.

--Jim

Yoon, Clara E

Mar 2, 2020, 12:24:05 PM3/2/20
to pech...@seis.utah.edu, anss...@googlegroups.com, bly...@seis.utah.edu

Hi Jim,

Sounds good, thank you for clarifying.

To summarize the desired behavior for quarry blasts after the fix:

  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=false” and event type is not “quarry”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should appear upon saving or finalizing the event (same as what happens currently with Jiggle v2017.06.27).
  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=false” and event type is already set to “quarry”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should not appear upon saving or finalizing the event because it is unnecessary.  (This capability needs to be added to Jiggle.)
  • When “eventTypeCheckDisabled=true”, the “EVENT MAY BE A BLAST!” popup should not appear at all (regardless of event type) upon saving or finalizing the event (same as what happens currently with Jiggle v2017.06.27).