Task timeout not triggered

Alex Wanderley

Mar 21, 2023, 11:49:06 AM3/21/23
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We had a situation where our OS update playbook hung on the task below:

- name: Call Oracle relink script
  ansible.builtin.shell: "{{ relink_oracle_binaries }}"
  args:
     warn: false
  register: relink_output

{{relink_oracle_binaries}}, which has been working just fine for many months, was hit by a bug and that caused it to hang waiting on the "read" below:
   *)  echo $N "ORACLE_HOME = [$ORAHOME] ? $C"
        read NEWHOME

So, the script sat there waiting for the read to be fulfilled and that also caused the whole playbook to also sit there for hours waiting for the task to finish (eventually, I had to kill the playbook job).
No timeout was triggered despite "timeout = 45" being set in ansible.cfg.

Would anybody know why that task was not timed out by Ansible? (Apologies if this is very basic.)

Regards,

Alex

--

Edmonton_sig_RGB_S.jpg

Alex Wanderley

Application and Infrastructure Analyst II
Server Solutions & Automation

Financial and Corporate Services | Open City and Technology

780-496-4156  Office

780-819-0273  Mobile

City of Edmonton

Century Place, 19th Floor

9803 102A Avenue NW

Edmonton AB, T5J 3A3

All information contained in this email post is proprietary to the City of Edmonton, confidential and intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this post in error, please disregard the contents, inform the sender of the misdirection, and remove it from your system. The copying, dissemination or distribution of this email, if misdirected, is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this message and any attachment(s) are confidential, proprietary to the City of Edmonton, and are intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this in error, please disregard the contents, inform the sender of the misdirection, and remove it from your system. The copying, dissemination, or distribution of this message, if misdirected, is strictly prohibited.