Ansible-4.3.0 has been released

Toshio Kuratomi

Jul 20, 2021, 5:43:47 PM7/20/21
to ansible-devel, ansible...@googlegroups.com, ansible-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We're happy to announce that the ansible-4.3.0 package has been
released! The update contains bugfixes and new, backwards compatible
features in the contained collections.

How to get it
-------------

Due to a limitation in pip, if you are upgrading from Ansible 3 (or
earlier), you need to uninstall Ansible and Ansible Base before
installing Ansible 4:

```
$ pip uninstall ansible ansible-base
$ pip install ansible==4.3.0 --user
```

The tar.gz of the release can be found here:

* Ansible 4.3.0
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/a/ansible/ansible-4.3.0.tar.gz
* SHA256: aeb0007a18e8914dd3ffe0acb2c4377f2d1f25e01c39e845c6cb8b16bdc1018b
*
What's new in Ansible 4.3.0
---------------------------

* We've added a way to get the version of the Ansible package that is
installed programmatically:

```
$ python -c 'from ansible_collections.ansible_release import
ansible_version; print(ansible_version)'
4.3.0
```

* Collections which have opted into being a part of the Ansible-4
unified changelog will have an entry on this page:
* https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/main/4/CHANGELOG-v4.rst#v4-3-0

* For collections which have not opted into the unified changelog,
consult the list of included collections in the link below and check
their entry on https://galaxy.ansible.com for information about their
changes.
* https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/main/4/ansible-4.3.0.deps

* You can find more information for those on
https://galaxy.ansible.com/. For instance, the community.crypto
collection listed in the ansible-4.3.0.deps file has a galaxy page at
https://galaxy.ansible.com/community/crypto/

* Changelog for ansible-core-2.11.2 which this release of ansible
installs: https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/stable-2.11/changelogs/CHANGELOG-v2.11.rst

What's the schedule for new Ansible releases after 4.3.0?

* Except for ansible-2.9.x, older versions of ansible are not seeing
maintenance releases. If there is a desire for maintenance releases
of older versions, drop by a Community Working Group Meeting to
discuss how you can help. (
https://github.com/ansible/community/tree/main/meetings#wednesdays )

* Maintenance releases of ansible-4.x will occur roughly every three
weeks. Expect 4.4.0 roughly on August 10.

* We're planning to release Ansible-5.0.0 in November, 2021.

Porting Help

There's a unified porting guide for collections which have opted-in.
You can find that at:
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/porting_guides/porting_guide_4.html

-Toshio