Ansible-2.10.1 has been released

Toshio Kuratomi

Oct 13, 2020, 6:17:26 PM10/13/20
to ansible-devel, ansible...@googlegroups.com, ansible-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all-

**Important:** If you are upgrading from Ansible 2.9.x or older,
please see the `How to get it` section for an important limitation.

We're happy to announce that the ansible-2.10.1 package is now
available! This update contains bugfixes and new, backwards
compatible features in the contained collections as well as bringing
in ansible-base-2.10.2 as a dependency.

This is the first minor release of the ansible-2.10 package. If you
missed out on all the changes that have gone into the ansible-2.10.x
packages, please read the announcement for ansible-2.10.0:
https://groups.google.com/g/ansible-announce/c/QxIOml3i62A

How to get it
-------------

Due to a limitation in pip, if you are upgrading from Ansible 2.9 (or
earlier), you need to uninstall ansible before installing the 2.10 version:

$ pip uninstall ansible
$ pip install ansible==2.10.1 --user

The tar.gz of the release can be found here:

* Ansible 2.10.1
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/a/ansible/ansible-2.10.1.tar.gz
SHA256: 75708c67e2ac926cea42856af72cbc9494bf8008197652f9609089f7b4c2515a

What's new in Ansible 2.10.1
------------------------------

* Collections which have opted into being a part of the Ansible-2.10.0
unified changelog will have an entry on this page:
https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/main/2.10/CHANGELOG-v2.10.rst

* This release fixes a potential disclosure of information
(CVE-2020-25646) in several community.crypto modules. Please see the
unified changelog for more information.

* For collections which have not opted into the unified changelog,
consult the list of included collections in the link below and check
their entry on https://galaxy.ansible.com for information about their
changes.

* List of collections included in the 2.10.1 release:
https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/2.10.1/2.10/ansible-2.10.1.deps

* You can find more information for those on
https://galaxy.ansible.com/. For instance, the community.crypto
collection listed in the ansible-2.10.1.deps file has a galaxy page at
https://galaxy.ansible.com/community/crypto/

* Changelog for ansible-base-2.10.2 which this release of ansible
installs: https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/stable-2.10/changelogs/CHANGELOG-v2.10.rst

What's the schedule for new Ansible releases after 2.10.0?

* Patch releases will continue to be released approximately every
three weeks with bugfixes and new features as long as those features
do not cause incompatibilities.
* These releases will all be based on ansible-base-2.10.x
* Expect ansible-2.10.2 around November 3.

* We're still discussing the release schedule for ansible-2.11.0.
* We're tentatively thinking of releasing ansible-2.11.0, with
potential backwards incompatible changes to the collections but based
on ansible-base-2.10 in early February, 2021.
* Take this information as being subject to change as we're in the
early stages of discussion.

Porting Help

There's a unified porting guide for collections which have opted-in.
You can find that at:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/devel/docs/docsite/rst/porting_guides/porting_guide_2.10.rst

Thanks!
-Toshio Kuratomi