Ansible3.3.0

Toshio Kuratomi

Apr 22, 2021, 10:54:08 AM4/22/21
to ansible-devel, ansible...@googlegroups.com, ansible-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We're happy to announce that the ansible-3.3.0 package was released on
April 20! The update contains bugfixes and new, backwards compatible
features in the contained collections.

If you would like to learn about how and why we got to version 3.0.0,
we invite you to visit our blog for the background as well as a Q&A:

- https://www.ansible.com/blog/announcing-the-community-ansible-3.0.0-package
- https://www.ansible.com/blog/ansible-3.0.0-qa

How to get it
-------------

Due to a limitation in pip, if you are upgrading from Ansible 2.9 (or
earlier), you need to uninstall ansible before installing the 3.x
version:

```
$ pip uninstall ansible
$ pip install ansible==3.3.0 --user
```

The tar.gz of the release can be found here:

* Ansible 3.3.0
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/a/ansible/ansible-3.3.0.tar.gz
SHA256: 2de5385c48a2a24a19f6cbaccc7d7684c64b6194f9a9b175aba7949d53b07bc9

What's new in Ansible 3.3.0
---------------------------

* The Ansible package has moved to semantic versioning
(https://semver.org/). This standard allows you to tell if a new
version of Ansible contains incompatibilities by looking at the
version number. We've moved from 3.2.0 to 3.3.0 to show that this
release should be backwards compatible with Ansible-3.2.0 but may
contain new features. Read the semver specification for more
information.

* Collections which have opted into being a part of the Ansible-3
unified changelog will have an entry on this page:
* https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/main/3/CHANGELOG-v3.rst#v3-3-0

* For collections which have not opted into the unified changelog,
consult the list of included collections in the link below and check
their entry on https://galaxy.ansible.com for information about their
changes.
* https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/main/3/ansible-3.3.0.deps

* You can find more information for those on
https://galaxy.ansible.com/. For instance, the community.crypto
collection listed in the ansible-3.3.0.deps file has a galaxy page at
https://galaxy.ansible.com/community/crypto/

* Changelog for ansible-base-2.10.8 which this release of ansible
installs: https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/stable-2.10/changelogs/CHANGELOG-v2.10.rst

What's the schedule for new Ansible releases after 3.3.0?

* Except for ansible-2.9.x, older versions of ansible are not seeing
maintenance releases. If there is a desire for maintenance releases
of older versions, drop by a Community Working Group Meeting to
discuss how you can help. (
https://github.com/ansible/community/tree/main/meetings#wednesdays )

* Minor releases of ansible-3 will be released approximately every
three weeks. Since we're now using semantic versioning, these new
releases will be 3.1.0, 3.2.0, etc. They will contain bugfixes and
new features but no backwards incompatibilities.
* Expect 3.4.0 around April 11.

* We're currently planning to release Ansible-4.0.0 in the middle of
May, roughly a month after Ansible-core-2.11 releases. See the
Ansible 4 Roadmap for details:
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/roadmap/COLLECTIONS_4.html

Porting Help

There's a unified porting guide for collections which have opted-in.
You can find that at:
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/porting_guides/porting_guide_3.html

-Toshio