newbie question re: mind mapping

Attila Horvath

Sep 2, 2016, 10:37:04 AM9/2/16
to annotum
As a newbie to publishing, Annotum, WordPress, etc. - I have a very quick question:
I like the "open source" collaborative nature of both Word Press and Annotum. I am interested in using Annotum to collaboratively author a [e-]book. However, prior to authoring the [e-]book, I would like to 'mind-map' it in order to establish the structure, layout, content and flow.
1? Is Annotom the right tool with which to author a [e-]book? I see that it has the ability to print and generate PDF and XML content. How easy would it be to convert the content to epub format by way of example?
2? Is there a 'mind-map' plug-in available for Annotum that we can subsequently refer to directly in order to develop the [e-]book's content? What I mean by this is if I map out the [e-]book with a 'mind-map' tool, can I then follow on with the text ('flesh') which will subsequently yield the end product?
I guess what I'm looking for is a mind-mapping tool that comes with |or| is seamlessly integrated with an authoring tool.

Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.

Sep 2, 2016, 1:23:13 PM9/2/16
to ann...@googlegroups.com
I would not use Annotum for your use case.  You should definitely check out Authorea.

_______________________
Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.
Solvitor ► Problem Solved.

Attila Horvath

Sep 2, 2016, 1:30:51 PM9/2/16
to ann...@googlegroups.com
thank you!

Gerhard Gonter

Sep 2, 2016, 1:57:08 PM9/2/16
to ann...@googlegroups.com

Then GitBook [1] also deserves to be mentioned, at least for the editing and pdf/epub generating part of the original question.  For the mind-mapping part I do not have a solution. Bullet list did the trick for me so far.

* [1] https://www.gitbook.com/explore

HTH, GG

Arin Basu

Sep 2, 2016, 4:41:12 PM9/2/16
to ann...@googlegroups.com
Another great alternative is to use [penflip](penflip.io).  If you can, and my preference is to use a Jupyter notebook for writing long form text, then use pandoc to convert to \LaTeX, and port to something like [Overleaf](http://www.overleaf.com).  Can't beat it in terms of price, and when it comes to publishing, \LaTeX is king, any day!

My ha'penny there,

Arin

Sent from my iPhone

Attila Horvath