Annie's 100th birthday ("in universe")

Michael Poteet

Oct 19, 2022, 8:52:42 AM10/19/22
to Annieorphans
Hi, all - I'm sure we all know the musical says Annie's birthday is October 28. I only discovered yesterday that, in the old radio show, apparently Annie's birthday is exactly 10 days earlier, October 18. What's more, the 1982 movie includes that date on Annie's birth certificate in an homage to that fact.

Whether Oct. 18 or Oct. 22, Annie was born in 1922, which means our favorite orphan's 100th birthday -- "in universe," anyway -- is this year!

Mike Poteet

Tricia T

Oct 24, 2022, 11:22:06 AM10/24/22
to Annieorphans
Yes! Happy Centennial to Annie. You're correct, Mike -- the 1930s Ovaltine-sponsored Radio Show and the 1982 movie both have Annie's birthday as October 18. I was never able to determine first-hand if that was just a coincidence, or if the movie writer consciously chose the date to be consistent with the radio show.
If I remember correctly, October 28 was the birthday of Thomas Meehan's daughter, so that was the background of using that date in the Broadway musical.