Problems with ST7735 on ESP32

Andy Gadget

Dec 14, 2020, 8:49:36 AM12/14/20
to annex_w...@googlegroups.com
I'm using an ESP32 running 1.41b5 and find I cannot get a suitable configuration setup for using with 2 different manufacturer's ST7735 boards.
These are both 128 x 160, one a standard red eBay board with green tab and the other a YuRobot board with green tab.
These both work perfectly with ESP8266 with configuration 2, but I was wanting to use the smoothed fonts available with the ESP32 version.

I have tried all TFT module settings on the config screen, but none show the Annex initialisation wasp logo correctly.  The closest is configuration 2 which gives correct colours but there appear to be alternate missing lines in the lower half of the screen and the copyright text and QRcode are corrupted. The extreme RHS and bottom line are also filled with random colour pixels.

Rectangle drawing will miss part of the box. Fonts at size 1,2 & 4 will display correctly but size 3 and 5 will have missing lines.
This is both when in landscape and portrait orientation.  I am using the spi.setup 20000000 to slow the bus, although see no difference at the default speed.

I will go ahead with an ESP8266 with the chunky fonts for this project if need be, but if this is an error in the translation from ESP8266 to ESP32 you may want to resolve it in a future update.

Still loving Annex :-)

cicciocb

Dec 16, 2020, 5:15:13 AM12/16/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
Thanks Andy,
you are right, this is probably a problem linked to the conversion from ESP8266 to ESP32.
I'll try to fix in a next release.

Andy Gadget

Dec 16, 2020, 6:30:07 AM12/16/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
Brilliant! Thanks Cicciocb.

This is for a display which has to fit in a slot in a car fascia which is too small to use the smallest size ILI9341.
The ST7745 fits in with space for a 3D printed housing around it.

Andy.