Annex32 on the Odroid-Go Device

Peter Gregg

Jun 19, 2020, 2:06:30 AM6/19/20
to Annex WiFi RDS

Hi everyone and especially the team responsible for this amazing software project. We are all indebted to you for your dedication to Annex Basic.

Annex 32 has built-in support for the M5stack and as such pin assignments are hard coded into the executable image.

I notice that a handheld game emulator built by https://www.hardkernel.com (the Odroid-Go) is a nifty inexpensive ESP32-WROVER based gadget that has many useful built in features plus an expansion interface making it an ideal candidate to run the Annex32 Basic interpreter. There are a few pin assignments in the Odroid-Go that conflict with the pin assignments hard-coded into the Annex32 binary image but if these differences can be handled during initialisation of each device interface then perhaps the gadget will work fine running Annex32.

This is not meant to be an advertisement for the Odroid-Go however I do like this device and it would be brilliant if I could get Annex32 to run on it making use of its inbuilt hardware platform. (More details are available here:-

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go/odroid_go )

I note that in the original Annex basic for (ESP8266) the TFT.INIT command allows certain pin allocations to be provided during the initialisation phase of the display interface. Would it be possible to rework (expand) the TFT.INIT command on Annex32 to mirror the flexibility of the original TFT.INIT command? This would allow using the inbuilt display in the Odroid-Go.

With similar attention to initialisation code of other inbuilt devices on the gadget like the SDCard and the audio speakers the Odroid-Go could literally “sing” the praises of Annex32 basic.

I also notice on the Config Page of the running ESP32 device (192.168.4.1) there are some options relating to the M5stack under TFTdisplay however I cannot find any documentation on these “Options” items and how they can be manipulated.

Any thoughts on these ramblings would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Peter.

cicciocb

Jun 19, 2020, 10:39:40 AM6/19/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
Peter,
the actual implementation do not enable the use of a different pinout.

The choice of M5stack is just related to the TFT display but it always using the same pinout.

It's always difficult to support a new device without having it, as you have to debug directly on the device and, by experience, to rely on other users comments, it's not reliable.

Actually I do not own this device.

Peter Gregg

Jun 19, 2020, 11:48:47 AM6/19/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
Thanks for the prompt response. I would like to donate a device to you for use as you see fit but please do not feel obliged to support this hardware as it appears impractical. Please accept it as a small thank you for your untiring efforts in bringing Annex Basic to life for an appreciative community. I will use the donate facility on the webpage to forward a donation that will cover the cost for you.

Although Annex32 Basic is my first choice, I am able to use MicroPython to achieve my goals as Hardkernel have provided the appropriate software library.

Cheers Pete

cicciocb

Jun 19, 2020, 12:01:20 PM6/19/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
Thanks for your proposal.

I'll happy to add to support for another device.

Peter Gregg

Jun 19, 2020, 9:07:28 PM6/19/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
I'm not sure if you ever sleep :-)

Your offer is very much appreciated and I look forward to a time when you have had the chance to incorporate this additional native hardware support.

I hope, by doing so, that Annex32 Basic will reach an expanded audience allowing you and your supporters to get the kudos you deserve for your considerable efforts in providing this outstanding contribution to the ESP32 community.

Keep up the good work.

cicciocb

Jun 30, 2020, 4:11:40 AM6/30/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
Hello Peter,
I received the Odroid GO and the good news is that, after few adaptations in the code, Annex32 runs great on it.
All works including the SDCARD, the TFT, the speaker and all the buttons.

I was surprised by the quality of the sound coming from the internal speaker with practically no background noise, compared with the m5stack.

Are you available for doing some testing?

Quest Troopers

Jul 1, 2020, 5:31:56 AM7/1/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
I can also help if Peter doesn't have the time, I also have an Odroid Go.

Peter Gregg

Jul 1, 2020, 6:12:07 AM7/1/20
to Annex WiFi RDS
I'm really impressed with how the software currently under test for the Odroid-Go Annex32 Basic runs so well. Once ciccioCB's testing is completed and he releases the updated binary files, I hope everyone is as impressed as I am with his efforts. Thanks again ciccioCB.