same cards in multiple decks

enrico200165

Sep 2, 2014, 7:56:55 AM9/2/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
I would like to check that my understanding is correct, ie that  reviews are relative to cards and only to cards, and, in particular that if a card is in N decks and I review it once
- the card will be updated and result as reviewed on all decks,
- the deck through which I review the card is irrelevant (for the review status of the card)

Is anyone reviewing with the same cards in several decks? Why?
Are there any caveats one should be aware of?

If I want to review some cards in two different orders, using two decks would accomplish this? Is there a better way?
The concrete UC is this: learning kanjis with hesigs I would like to review  respecting the order of lessons when learning (or relearning), and review in a total random way when I have all the kanji properly memorized.
My idea would be to have the same cards in
- a deck with subdecks to enforce some ordering based on lessons (one subdeck for each lesson)
- another deck (without subdecks for reviewing in a more random way)

Houssam Salem

Sep 2, 2014, 10:46:44 AM9/2/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
A card can only ever be in one deck at any given time. You can move it around into different decks, but there is only one copy of it.

To achieve what you want to do, you need to create a new filtered deck that grabs cards from your main deck. One of the options available to you is to grab a random selection. You can then "rebuild" the filtered deck to fill it with random cards and then "empty" to put them back into the original deck once you're done.

The status of the card can be updated in filtered decks (this is also an option).

enrico200165

Sep 2, 2014, 11:05:09 AM9/2/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com

OK, so my idea that a single card can belong to several decks is wrong.
Many thanks for your reply

Charles J. Daniels

Sep 2, 2014, 12:57:06 PM9/2/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
If I understand correctly, subdecks would also allow you to study from "multiple decks" -- a parent deck shows cards from all its children.