AnkiDroid's TTS function

Willian Smit

Apr 2, 2024, 7:40:03 PMApr 2
to public...@ankidroid.org
Good afternoon,

For quite some time I have been using AnkiDroid with satisfaction. Especially the in-build function for TTS is really enabling learning Tagalog, the language of my Fiancé, so I do not have to consult a dictionary anymore. Thanks so much for that functionality!

But then I read about the current TTS being planned to remove and it led to great distress because I cannot get Filipino TTS to work with the card template modification. It would be disastrous for my learning speed having to manually check a dictionary again.

Could you consider keeping the current TTS function for the time being?
Thank you for your consideration!

Kind regards,
Willian

Mike Hardy

Apr 2, 2024, 7:49:04 PMApr 2
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi there - we won't delay our plans to deprecate and delete the old functionality - but don't be too stressed

Two important things to remember:

- it *must* be possible for TTS to work for you using the new style. There must be a way. Periodically attempt it again or ask for help on Discord or in the forums for Anki and I'm sure you can make it work

- failing that, we are an open source app. We don't care if you don't update, we're not motivated by money to make anyone update. All our old releases are available forever :-), if you need to stay on an old version for a while, no problem. Obviously we think new versions are better but you're an adult - make your choice and if you need an old version they are always available here by tag with version name, for example: https://github.com/ankidroid/Anki-Android/releases/tag/v2.17.6 (or whatever version number...)

Hope this helps -

-Mike