Card layout became "jumpy" after adding custom font

Quiggle

Mar 29, 2024, 10:54:17 AMMar 29
to AnkiDroid
Hey there,

I looked quite a while in the various FAQs and forums but nothing...

So, the problem might be related to loading behaviour for fonts on mobile? First of all: they display correctly on desktop/web/mobile!

Because I study an Indian language, I wanted to get exposure to how the script looks in a serif and a sans serif font. So I put the same expression twice on the card. For this I added the custom .ttf files (320 KB, 270 KB - only for the "regular" style, not a variable font) to the media folder and it's all fine.

BUT when the card front appears, a tiny jumping motion is visible (the audio button below moves slightly downwards). The motion becomes very visible once the answer is revealed. I removed the font face styles and no jumping.

Are custom fonts loaded every time again once a card side is revealed? I imagine the jump comes from "expanding" to its final size after loading all font information. No jumping on desktop. It seems odd, isn't all info already loaded when I open my deck to study?

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!