Re: [Ankidroid] Google Nexus 4 sync problems - help!

Flavio Lerda

Mar 5, 2013, 10:04:34 AM3/5/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rich,

I have a Nexus 4 as well and things have been working fine for me so far.
The SD card reference is incorrect as many modern Android phones do not have an SD card, but it refers to the external storage in your case.
Can you check the amount of free space you have? It should be in the settings under storage.

Flavio

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Rich Bailey <richba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a looooooong time Ipod Touch AnkiMobile user who recently bought a 8 gb, Google Nexus 4 smart phone as a replacement. So, please forgive my ignorance when it comes to Ankidroid.  I have scoured the FAQ, forum, and other places to find answers, but with no luck.

After I downloaded Ankidroid and logged in, I tried to sync to my online account.  I chose to download from the web, overwriting what was on Ankidroid (nothing at this point).  It start synchronizing and downloading, with the data count increasing at a seemingly regular pace.  After awhile, it stopped with an message box:

"Sync Log

The downloaded file could not be saved to the sd card. Either your sd card is mounted read-only or there is not enough space."

As as I know (and a google search seems to confirm it), the Google Nexus 4 does not have an sd card and is not supposed to have one.

I have tried many times with the same result. According to my Ankiweb account, there is about 50 mb of data in my online account.

I also tried downloading a shared deck from Ankiweb that I have successfully downloaded to my Ipod Touch. It started downloading, but it also did not work, with an error message about a "sync error." However, the following day, it did finally download a shared deck successfully.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I'm kind of under pressure here as I return to Japan next week, and if I can't figure out a good answer, I'll probably have to buy a new Ipod Touch instead as Anki is the most important thing in my Japanese learning life!

Cheers,

Rich

Flavio Lerda

Rich Bailey

Mar 5, 2013, 10:26:45 AM3/5/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Dear Flavio,

Thanks for the quick response!

As the Nexus is brand new, it is basically empty and has 5.14 gb available.

Rich

Flavio Lerda

Mar 5, 2013, 10:40:20 AM3/5/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

Can you try to send a bug report from the device after trying to download your collection?
You can get a bug report in a number of ways (if following method 1, you might want to enable it first, then reproduce the problem, and finally generate and send the bug report).
I would recommend you share the bug report directly with my email address instead of the mailing list.

1. You can use the following instructions:

a. On devices running Android 4.2, developer options are hidden by default, helping to create a better experience for users. You can reveal the developer options at any time by tapping 7 times on Settings > About phone > Build number on any compatible Android device.

b. Under Settings -> Developer options select Power menu bug reports

c. Long press the power button and when the menu appears select Bug report

d. After a little while you will be asked what to do with it, you can email it to me (or first to yourself and then forward it to me). The list of apps you can share with might vary.

2. You can use the following app from the play store:

If you send me that information, I would be better positioned to look at the issue.
Hopefully we can figure out what the problem is and solve it for you (and hopefully others).

Flavio

Rich

Flavio Lerda

Rich Bailey

Mar 5, 2013, 10:52:17 AM3/5/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Ok, will do. What's your email address?

I tried option 1, but when I got to the option to select power menu bug report, it would not let me select it (no check mark).

I will try option 2.

Houssam Salem

Mar 6, 2013, 2:45:57 AM3/6/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
I ran into the same problem yesterday. I needed to do a full sync on my phone, and it was progressing much slower than usual. Half way through, it stopped, gave me the same error about read-only or not enough space (both of which are false), and refused to sync anymore after that with a "Sync error" message. I chalked it up to a transient AnkiWeb glitch that somehow corrupted my collection in the process.

I ended up going into the AnkiDroid directory and deleting my collection.anki2 file. It started syncing normally again after that. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and needed a working collection on my phone and didn't think to preserve a copy of the broken one to see what might have gone wrong with it.

niglep

Nov 7, 2013, 7:13:38 AM11/7/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
The same thing happened to me. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 that worked fine until now. My deck works fine in my Nexus 4 and my PC but nothing seems to work with the tablet (which doesn't have a SD card, by the way). I tried everything (syncing from server and overwriting the collection and I even did a "factory reset" on my tablet) and nothing seems to work. I already sent several bug reports. I hope you can find a solution. Thank you for this amazing work.

Tim

Nov 7, 2013, 11:50:20 AM11/7/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
What exactly is happening?

niglep

Nov 8, 2013, 6:58:43 AM11/8/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
The exact same thing that happened to Rich Bailey (that's why I didn't write it all down again) but in a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 instead of the Nexus 4. Anyway, after doing a factory reset in my tablet again (I REALLY needed my tablet to study), and trying to sync from server several times,it finally worked and I have my deck synced with server and working well (at least for now) but I would like not to do it all over again. I hope you find a solution with the bug reports we're sending and thanks for all the support.

Tim

Nov 8, 2013, 11:01:44 AM11/8/13
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
OK, the Rich Bailey post was 8 months ago, so unlikely to be related.
Who did you send the bug reports to?
"SD Card" in this case means the internal memory, not related to any physically accessible memory card.
Did you check how much space you had available? How about now?